Column Required_if condition ignored if column is not included in form view

Hello,

I have just come across a situation where if I am adding a row to a table from a form view and I only have some of my data set columns selected in the Column Order portion of the view, Appsheet ignores the Require_if condition of the other columns in the data set that were not in the form.  The row is able to be added to the dataset without error even though those other columns have no value. 

If, however, I include those same columns in the form, then Appsheet does respect their Require_if requirements and won't allow me to add a row until those columns have values.

Can someone help me understand this behavior? What is the point of data validation if rows can be added anyway?

Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 2 61
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is a normal behavior. Otherwise the app user would never be able to fill the record. If you want to do this, you should have a a proper formula in the Valid_If in some of those columns that are never hidden. Then the user would not be able to save the record and you could explain it with the warning message.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This is a normal behavior. Otherwise the app user would never be able to fill the record. If you want to do this, you should have a a proper formula in the Valid_If in some of those columns that are never hidden. Then the user would not be able to save the record and you could explain it with the warning message.

In my view the user shouldn''t be able to add a row to the database when required columns are still blank. They should be getting an error about those non-shown columns that require a value, which would serve as a reminder to tweak the form to include those columns requiring values.  After all, the shown columns is just a column order thing.  Appsheet claims its still connecting the form to the entire dataset.  Or perhaps it only connects to the shown columns and totally ignores the rest.  

But thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep tinkering to find a way that feels stable and behaves expectedly.

Top Labels in this Space