[Column Type = File] How to delete a file after it is uploaded to a record.

Newbee here... 

Description: 

I am trying to use the [Column Type = File] feature of AppSheet. 

The purpose is to hold reports (pdf create in another software) and attach them to a site visit record in an Appsheet table. 

I am starting with the regular File Type (I have not yet used the New Table>Documents on Google Drive - Since I Understand this "old" way allows you to control the name of the file - Let me know if this is not correct)

So far, I can create the records and attach a file to it (even properly name the file when it is uploaded to Google Drive -  ๐Ÿ™‚  - Easypeasy - Good Job Appsheet!!!)

However, when I delete a row (like when uploading the wrong file) the attached file is not removed along with the record.   

Problem: 

1. This leaves records behind that are not needed or have the wrong information in the directory where the files are stored.  This is a problem for us since at the end of the job we need to submit all the reports for archiving to close the project.   
  2. Once the record is removed from the table, there is no way (I can think of) to find the orphaned files in google drive. (I can see this becoming an issue when archiving -or auditing- multi-year projects). 

Question(s): 

1. Is there a way to delete a file after it has been attached to a record and uploaded to Google Drive?.
  2. Is there a way to rename a file after it has been attached to a record and uploaded to Google Drive? 

Addendum:

It occurred to me, a solution may be to move the record to a different table when the delete button is clicked on. This way at least the "bad files" can be looked up and removed.  However, I  can not find how to do this in the documentation and community forums. 

0 5 1,529
5 REPLIES 5

Regarding the Addendum, you may want to check this Q&A.

Basically copy, delete...

TeeSee1.  

Thank you for your response. 

However, the answer (I glanced at it and it helped me with another question I had) apparently refers to deleting rows in a table. 

I am looking for a way to delete files uploaded to a record in a table (say copies of reports or receipts). 

I noticed that when a record ( a row in a table) is deleted, the any files uploaded for that record remain in Gdrive.   I am looking for a way to remove these (orphaned) files form Gdrive. 

Any ideas? 

I like 

Hi @FTong 

You can't delete files from AppSheet AFAIK.

If the file was uploaded, it's saved but not deleted when you delete the row

SkrOYC, 

thank you for the information. 

(sorry for the late reply.  I am assinged to an offshore job again... internet is very slow...)

Top Labels in this Space