Column formula based on Virtual Column not updated

Hi,

I am trying to update value of a column based on the value of a virtual column, However, the value doesn't get updated or reflected when virtual column is updated.

Given below, `Total` is the column present in the db and `_vTotal` is a virtual column. Whenever, _vTotal gets updated, I want the `Total` field to be updated as well.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 05.35.02.pngScreenshot 2024-01-30 at 05.34.57.png

Some may say that why not use Formula as in `_vTotal` within the `Total`, the problem with that is => calculating the `Total` takes tens of seconds and if the user makes any edit in the meantime, it stops the computation and leaves the value of `Total` in an wrong state where the real value is not reflected in the `Total` column. Despite trying to refresh multiple times, the real value is not updated.

Solved Solved
0 3 57
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Understood! Makes sense. Still though, the physical columns will only update on edits to that row. You could add an "Updated" column, and then any time you make a change on another table that should update that row, you can just update the "Updated" column with an action. That should refresh it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I'm guessing the issue is that Physical columns, like [Total] only update on row edits, so you would have to physically go and edit that row to get the update. Meanwhile Virtual columns like [_vTotal] always update, but that doesn't necessarily reflect in the physical column until an edit is made.

It's unclear why you would need both, though. You already have the [_vTotal] column, why not just reference that for everything and get rid of the [Total] column altogether? Especially since you want to see it updated in real time, using a Virtual column is the way to go.

> It's unclear why you would need both, though.

I also want to save the computed value in the db for future references. With virtual column I cannot do so. That's why I wanted to use virtual column.

Understood! Makes sense. Still though, the physical columns will only update on edits to that row. You could add an "Updated" column, and then any time you make a change on another table that should update that row, you can just update the "Updated" column with an action. That should refresh it.

Top Labels in this Space