Column persists in table view even when show_if() returns false

I'm new to both AppSheet and this forum. I just ran into this problem that I think it's a bug, but perhaps it's by design.

When a column's Show_If expression returns false and the View type is table, the column  values do not show, but the column itself still shows (see below Cost column). I would expect the entire column to not display.

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 2.22.44 AM.png

I guess this may be by design in case someone didn't want to display the value of the column for certain conditions related to the row. If that were the case, the editor's question is misleading: "Is this column visible in the app? You can also provide a 'Show_If' expression to decide."

Bug? Feature?

0 2 99
2 REPLIES 2

You are right. If the show_if expression is row level and not a blanket one applicable uniformly for all the rows, meaning the expression may evaluate true for certain rows and false for certain rows, then it will continue to show in table view because if the condition for a row evaluates to true, the column needs to be shown.

If you want to eliminate the column altogether irrespective of show_if status, you could omit it in the column order in views or slice if the view is based on a slice.

Got it. Thanks.

It makes sense for show_if expression be row level when the expression to evaluate examines row content, but it becomes confusing when the expression is meant to be a blanket one, such as 

CONTEXT("VIEWTYPE")="Form"

It's especially confusing with the question meant to clarify the feature "Is this column visible in the app? You can also provide a 'Show_If' expression to decide."

I was trying avoid selecting the column order for every single view I have. Thanks for the clear explanation!!

Top Labels in this Space