Column vs View Filtering

Hello,

I am relatively new to appsheet, and I was curious about the pros & cons of using Columnar filtering vs Views filtering. The app will contain 40+ columns with several different roles. The views/columns permissions can overlap between roles. Some of the data is sensitive. Given these parameters, I am also considering just building separate apps for each role. What do you think?

Thank you!

Solved Solved
0 2 41
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am certain you will find that you need more than one table to take into consideration...but....

Since it seems tables columns might be shared across roles, I would only advise separating into separate apps IF the features and function of each role are unique.  Otherwise, if many functions are shared, you will find yourself replicating code changes across all the apps.

For data separation, you can use Security Filters to download only the rows that person has permission to see.   You can also "hide" columns by creating Slices (e.g. a Slice for each role with only the columns that role has access to) and then create Role specific views.  Whil eyou may need to adjuste these views for each Role as you go forward, the basic functionality for each column in managed in the base table - where you will only need to make changes ONE time rather than several times across multiple apps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I am certain you will find that you need more than one table to take into consideration...but....

Since it seems tables columns might be shared across roles, I would only advise separating into separate apps IF the features and function of each role are unique.  Otherwise, if many functions are shared, you will find yourself replicating code changes across all the apps.

For data separation, you can use Security Filters to download only the rows that person has permission to see.   You can also "hide" columns by creating Slices (e.g. a Slice for each role with only the columns that role has access to) and then create Role specific views.  Whil eyou may need to adjuste these views for each Role as you go forward, the basic functionality for each column in managed in the base table - where you will only need to make changes ONE time rather than several times across multiple apps.

Thanks for the advice! I'll play around with it and see what works best.

Top Labels in this Space