Combine two SELECT() expressions to form one?

Im trying to generate a type of account statement that has withdrawals and deposits listed in a table similar to a bank statement.

The withdrawals are in one table and the deposits are in another table.

How can i combine both SELECT() expressions  into one?

The main goal is to use this in a template via the  <<Start: SELECT() >> expression to create a PDF.

0 9 244
9 REPLIES 9

You kind of can't. I recommend combining your withdrawal and deposit transactions into a single transaction table.

That "Kind of cant" , leaves the door open or a workaround maybe? 

The problem is that i have several tables that record diffrent types of costs/withdrawals (same thing)  depending on which department is doing them. Such as maintenance cost,  Employee Salaries, fixed costs, etc.

I keep them seprate for filtering purposes, and if i put them in a single table they will easily reach over 10s of thousands records or more by the end of the year.

@hshelio wrote:

That "Kind of cant" , leaves the door open or a workaround maybe?

Maybe, but you didn't really give me much info to give a workaround solution. If you're wanting to display them in the same table in a template, one after another, that's easy. But if you need them interspersed, where like some withdrawals may be between some deposits or vice-versa, all ordered by date or datetime, that'd be hard. 

Again, really, the same types of records should be in the same table. Devise other methods for filtering them if need-be. You know about Security Filters and Slices?

" But if you need them interspersed, where like some withdrawals may be between some deposits or vice-versa, all ordered by date or datetime, that'd be hard. "

Yes, unfortunetly this is exactly what i need to do. Ordered by date.

I havent heard about security filters, but security isnt a priority at the moment, since the data is not sensitive.

I do know what slices are am using several to represent relative data.

However i cant refrence two seprate tables in a single slice, or so im told.

I guess a possible workaround would be to have a placeholder table that i can then fill out with Actions. But maybe that would not work because i would need to have a placeholder table for every user that wants to fill the table based on their own criteria. so i guess that wouldnt be very efficient..

Im sure there must be a way to do this, it seems like a logical use for this software to create bank statement like tables ( date, withdrawals ,deposits, balance) 

not looking good for me ๐Ÿ˜ž

Security Filters aren't necessarily about security. More about determining which records to load into the app.

For your template, you could potentially iterate over a date table, pulling all records from each table per date. They'd still be one after another in their date blocks. It'd be like:

<<START: dates[id]>>
<<START: FILTER(withdrawals , [date] = [_THISROW-1].[date] )>>...<<END>>
<<START: FILTER(deposits,        [date] = [_THISROW-1].[date] )>>...<<END>>
<<END>>

I currently have it set up like this, but would work better mixed ordered by date.  Ill keep investigating.

Is it GSheet based? To get more granular, how I think you're wanting, and assuming you have a datetime column in both, change the above "dates" table to be a table with a formula on the spreadsheet like =SORT(UNIQUE({credits!B:B;debits!B:B}))   assuming the datetime is column B in both sheets.

@hshelio wrote:

Ordered by date

Hey man,

can't you do this?

LIST(
  ORDERBY(
    FILTER("withdrawals", TRUE),
    [date]
  ) + ORDERBY(
    FILTER("deposits", TRUE),
    [date]
  )
)

A single START expression can't iterate over records from more than one table.

Even if it could , all this would do is stack all of the withdrawals on top of all of the deposits, each block ordered by date, but not interspersed by date like OP wants.

Top Labels in this Space