Complex - Average 4 previous rows, divide, multiple, subtract, and round

This problem is not for the beginner that I am. I have invested a lot of time into Appsheet and Iโ€™m too stubborn to give up. I am hoping someone can assist me with this very complex issue (at least complex to me). After trying for two days, itโ€™s time to suck up my pride and ask for help.

I have a form that allows people to login and log out equipment. There are multiple devices. Each device is identified by a serial number. This equipment has to be calibrated every day. I have a form where the user will input a four digit number into Daily[Data] each day the equipment is used. I need to know the percent difference of that โ€œnewโ€ number based on the average of the previous four entered.

Basically, I need to be able to average (and roundup to the nearest 1/10 of a percent) the previous 4 rows of Daily[Data], then divide it by the current value entered for that day. From there, I need to display in a column labeled Daily[Avg] the percent difference between the 4 previous numbers and the current number.

Some devices are used daily, others are not. That is where my main issue lies. I need this to โ€œscanโ€ the column Daily[Serial] to find the previous four Daily[Data] numbers that are related to that particular device so it can average them and determine the percentage of difference when compared to โ€œtodayโ€™sโ€ new number.

For instance:
Here is an example layout of the data that gets captured from the form.

3X_6_1_61443c07cb68076fb0d35b01bd405e564007f1ff.png

If the data being entered โ€œtodayโ€ goes into Row 9, the equipment number is 012, and the value being entered into Daily[Data] is equal to 3584. I need to determine the AVG column.

The formula will need to average and round the previous 4 rows, divide by 3584, multiple by 100 and finally subtract 100 from that value and display that value as a percentage of difference into the column labeled Daily[Avg], highlighted in Yellow in the image above. To understand this further please see my step by step plan below.

Row | Serial | Data

Row 2 | 012 | 1234

Row 4 | 012 | 6987

Row 6 | 012 | 3211

Row 8 | 012 | 7899

Avg of Row 2, 4, 6 and 8 = 4833
Divide 3584 into 4833 = 0.742
0.74 * 100 = 74.2
100 - 74.2 = 25.8

Therefore the difference is 25.8%

The value of 25.8% is what I need displayed in Daily[Avg]

I am sorry for the lengthy post but I figure itโ€™s best to be as detailed as possible. I appreciate any help you guys and/or gals can give me! Thanks again!

Solved Solved
0 2 259
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would add a Real column to the Daily Table, which would hold a List of key values of the previous 4 records. Use the following expression as an Initial Value, which gets all records with the same [Serial], orders them descending by [_RowNumber], then takes the first 4 (i.e. the last 4).

TOP(
  ORDERBY( 
    FILTER(
      Daily ,
      [Serial] = [_THISROW].[Serial]
    ) ,
    [_RowNumber] , TRUE 
  ) ,
)

Set this column as an EnumList with Base Type as Ref, pointing to the Daily Table.

Then you can get the average with:

AVERAGE( [New Column][Data] )

I assume that was the part you couldnโ€™t figure out and you can handle the rest of the calculation from there.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I would add a Real column to the Daily Table, which would hold a List of key values of the previous 4 records. Use the following expression as an Initial Value, which gets all records with the same [Serial], orders them descending by [_RowNumber], then takes the first 4 (i.e. the last 4).

TOP(
  ORDERBY( 
    FILTER(
      Daily ,
      [Serial] = [_THISROW].[Serial]
    ) ,
    [_RowNumber] , TRUE 
  ) ,
)

Set this column as an EnumList with Base Type as Ref, pointing to the Daily Table.

Then you can get the average with:

AVERAGE( [New Column][Data] )

I assume that was the part you couldnโ€™t figure out and you can handle the rest of the calculation from there.

Thank you @Marc_Dillon!!! Sorry for the late reply, but just getting back. This worked!

Top Labels in this Space