Consult website builder

Hello AppSheet,

We are trying to find an easy website builder that will do the following. Will you please let us know if your tool can do this?

Data

Our data will be in a single Google Sheet (we could use Airtable as an alternative if the best tool for this requires it, but we would rather avoid that extra expense). It will have 4k records (which are colleges). It will have just three fields:

• Name of college
  • Logo of college
  • URL of college page on our separate website

Collection Page

We want to use it to generate a very simple one-page site. That page would show the names and logos of the colleges in a list view.  

• Do you offer a choice of list view and grid view?
  • We would want the items to appear alphabetically. 
  • Can we customize the layout of the page (size of image, font size, etc.?)
  • What is the largest number of products or records that we can show on the page?
  • Do you have pagination so that we can accommodate all 4k colleges?

We do not need a page for each record.

Publicly-Accesible

We need this to be publicly-accesible with no log-in.

Search

The visitor needs to be able to search for the college of their choice. For instance, if they enter โ€œTexas,โ€ they should see Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and University of Texas.

It would be ideal if, as they typed, the saw a list of all the matching colleges, and that list shrunk as they typed, but that is not essential. Do you have that?

Is the search fast with 4k records?

Filtering

We do not need any filtering. Just the search.

When the VIsitor Clicks a College

If they click on a college name or logo, they should be taken to that collegeโ€™s URL in a separate website (that is, not to a product or detail page for the college).

Embedding in Our Separate Site

We would want to embed the page that we create with your tool in an iframe on our Shopify store. It should be responsive to that it works, regardless of whether the visitor to our SHoify store is using a comptuer or phone.

No Header or Footer

The one-page site we create with your tool should not have a header or footer, as we will want to embed it in our Shopify site.

Traffic

We expect fairly significant traffic, but each visitor would likely use it only to do a quick search. Please explain if there are limits to visitors, simultaneous users, bandwidth, or anything else. Extra cost for additional traffic? Does using a Google Sheet limit the number of simultaneous users or anything else?

Other

Is there anything we forgot to ask?

Please cc our Founder on Your Reply

Please cc rtolmach@gmail.com when you reply. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Very best wishes,

Michael Mu

kinghtmyth094@gmail.com

Cc: rtolmach@gmail.com

0 1 69
1 REPLY 1

I'll do my best to provide you information.

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We are trying to find an easy website builder that will do the following

AppSheet is not a website builder, is a webapp and mobile apps builder sort of speak.

@Michael_Mu wrote:

Our data will be in a single Google Sheet

AppSheet suggest you to use GSheet as it's an online service and made by Google.

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We want to use it to generate a very simple one-page site. That page would show the names and logos of the colleges in a list view

Again, this is not a web page builder. But let's continue:

@Michael_Mu wrote:
  • Do you offer a choice of list view and grid view?

Kinda yes. It depends on what you expect because there are some variations of list and grid views. For list check the table, deck view and for grid, card, gallery view come to my mind.

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We would want the items to appear alphabetically

Sure, no problem, you can sort on any list/grid view

@Michael_Mu wrote:

Can we customize the layout of the page (size of image, font size, etc.?)

It depends. Images are view-dependant on how it looks. You can change font size and some font family as well. Layout in general not so much rather than choosing the view type you consider the best for your scenario

@Michael_Mu wrote:

What is the largest number of products or records that we can show on the page?

List/grid views has "infinite scroll". We cannot change that, which also answers this:

@Michael_Mu wrote:

Do you have pagination so that we can accommodate all 4k colleges?

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We do not need a page for each record

You could kind of disable detail views if you make an action on row select that does nothing

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We need this to be publicly-accesible with no log-in

There is a plan for this and it's USD50/month per-app

@Michael_Mu wrote:

The visitor needs to be able to search for the college of their choice. For instance, if they enter โ€œTexas,โ€ they should see Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and University of Texas.

Sure, no problem.

@Michael_Mu wrote:

It would be ideal if, as they typed, the saw a list of all the matching colleges, and that list shrunk as they typed, but that is not essential. Do you have that?

Yes, when you type, each letter you type changes the results

@Michael_Mu wrote:

Is the search fast with 4k records?

This depends a lot on your device, but if this is going to be used on desktop I'd say that it should take less than a second

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We do not need any filtering. Just the search.

I don't think you have the option to hide the filtering feature, but this shouldn't bother anyone to be honest. It's also not a so easy to find feature

@Michael_Mu wrote:

If they click on a college name or logo, they should be taken to that collegeโ€™s URL in a separate website (that is, not to a product or detail page for the college).

Ok, previously I talked about preventing this from going into a Detail View. We can configure this to go to any URL you like. This can also be dynamic, for example having an extra field on your data that has the URL so when you click it goes to that particular record's URL.

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We would want to embed the page that we create with your tool in an iframe on our Shopify store. It should be responsive to that it works, regardless of whether the visitor to our SHoify store is using a comptuer or phone

No problem, AppSheet webapps are responsive. Although I'm not sure how things will translate in the future with the new addition of a dedicated Desktop Mode that is in the works. I guess you should be able to deactivate it so that it's responsive 100% of the time as currently is. You can iframe the app also, no problem with that in my experience. You can't use a custom domain and open the app as if it were part of your site but you could iframe it and take 100% height and width

@Michael_Mu wrote:

We expect fairly significant traffic, but each visitor would likely use it only to do a quick search. Please explain if there are limits to visitors, simultaneous users, bandwidth, or anything else. Extra cost for additional traffic? Does using a Google Sheet limit the number of simultaneous users or anything else?

In general, do not expect any problems on this area. All of your users are AppSheet users, not Google Sheet users. Also, if you won't be modifying the data so much or not at all, this is a perfect use case for an app that shouldn't be configured to sync on start and that can use data caching on AppSheet servers, so quite performant. This have the potential to be one of the most performant apps ever made IMHO

@Michael_Mu wrote:

Is there anything we forgot to ask?

Idk, you tell me. Did you like my answers?

@Michael_Mu wrote:

Please cc rtolmach@gmail.com when you reply. Thank you very much for your time and consideration

Well, I can't since this is not an email, but if you need anything else just ask for it below.

Always happy to help

Top Labels in this Space