Controlling Virtual Column Vs. App Formula

Can you limit a virtual column from running based off the value in a column.

For instance: In my Orders Table

We have these tables:

Order Details

Deliveries

Accessories

Payments

ETC...

Virtual Column:

Total Subtotal Due:     SUM ( SELECT (Order Details[Total], [Order Id] = [_THISROW].[Order Id]))+SUM(Select(Deliveries[Total Delivery Fee], [Order Id] = [_THISROW].[Order Id]))+SUM(Select(Accessories[Total Cost], [Order Id] = [_THISROW].[Order Id]))+SUM(Select(Furniture[Selling Price], [Order Id] = [_THISROW].[Order Id]))+SUM(Select(MCO[Selling Price], [Order Id] = [_THISROW].[Order Id]))-SUM(Select(Customer Payments[amount], [Order Id] = [_THISROW].[Order Id]))

Can the above virtual column only run on Rows in my Orders Table that have a status of "Open"

Or is it much better to write a app formula in a new column. If so, how can i make the app formula recalculate if anything is edited in any of the reference table in that order.

0 3 325
3 REPLIES 3

SELECT(table[column], 
  AND(
    condition 1,
    condition 2,
    "Open" = [status]
  )
)
____

App formulas will recalculate for one row upon the change in any column in this row. 

Additionally, virtual columns will calculate for all rows with every sync. 

Applying that expression in the "Reset on edit".

However i need it to recalculate whenever other references in that order table are changed, row added, row deleted.

Reasoning for looking for another option versus the current virtual columns i have, is that i have over 30K rows in each table. Business has grown and the data is growing quickly.

How can I do that?

App formulas will recalculate for one row upon the change in any column in this row

Im hoping this applies to related reference tables in that row as well.

I'd say try to avoid the use of virtual columns for this purpose. 

First you should create a slice for every table based on [status] = "open" and any other criteria that can help filtering your table. 

Also, make use of Actions and Automation to recalculate the desired columns. This will involve a lot of work from you but will make your app run faster. 

In one of my apps I needed to calculate the sum in different tables, but instead of using SUM(SELECT .. I employed actions and bots that will launch upon the addition of a new row to update the corresponding total, along with automated checks to ensure data integrity, all this without a single virtual column. 

Top Labels in this Space