Create Child records BEFORE creating the parent

Hi

Essentially,  my main goal is this : Create a weekly report form that encompasses all daily information, for streamlining and approval purposes. The reason why I would like to do that is that I want users to have a calendar view with all their daily information there to be able to enter them right in there, and when they are ready, they can simply hit a button to select the dates they want, and that would create the parent with all the data from the childs. and this parent would be sent for approval.

I've already created the daily record, and the parent. But it seems it would be more user friendly with that...! Thanks !

Solved Solved
0 2 146
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't fully follow what you're trying to accomplish nor what challenges you're facing in trying to do so.

In case it's helpful, one technique that sounds like it may be relevant would be to automatically generate parent rows to serve as containers. That might be on a schedule (perhaps nightly or weekly) or it could be part of a grouped action series that ends with showing a form view for the child table. Then, you could provide a directly accessible form view for the child table where users could create as many rows as needed with the column referencing the parent table either automatically populated using an initial value expression or allowing the user to select an existing parent. The parent could still be editable later for users to do something like "select the dates they want".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I don't fully follow what you're trying to accomplish nor what challenges you're facing in trying to do so.

In case it's helpful, one technique that sounds like it may be relevant would be to automatically generate parent rows to serve as containers. That might be on a schedule (perhaps nightly or weekly) or it could be part of a grouped action series that ends with showing a form view for the child table. Then, you could provide a directly accessible form view for the child table where users could create as many rows as needed with the column referencing the parent table either automatically populated using an initial value expression or allowing the user to select an existing parent. The parent could still be editable later for users to do something like "select the dates they want".

I ended up doing a chain of actions that basicaly creates the parent automatically while creating the child, thanks for the idea !!

Top Labels in this Space