Create PDF in background

I currently have a Bot in place that creates a printable PDF every time a record is updated. This significantly increases the time it takes to sync the application and seems like something that could happen in the background.

Is it possible to have the app do this in the background?

Thanks in advance.

Solved Solved
1 3 124
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Gaius wrote:

I currently have a Bot in place that creates a printable PDF every time a record is updated. This significantly increases the time it takes to sync the application

I think you may be mis-understanding something.  Generation of PDF's do not interfere with Sync time.  They are processes that run "in the background" (i.e. on the server).  Once a bot is triggered, it is processed separately.  You will be able to tap Sync and get the latest app updates while the bot happily continues to process.

Why do you think that your PDF bot is interfering with the Sync time?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Gaius wrote:

I currently have a Bot in place that creates a printable PDF every time a record is updated. This significantly increases the time it takes to sync the application

I think you may be mis-understanding something.  Generation of PDF's do not interfere with Sync time.  They are processes that run "in the background" (i.e. on the server).  Once a bot is triggered, it is processed separately.  You will be able to tap Sync and get the latest app updates while the bot happily continues to process.

Why do you think that your PDF bot is interfering with the Sync time?

The time between clicking "Save" and the application loading can be up to 30 seconds, and I assumed that the PDF was the most time intensive process.

However, upon seeing your message, I looked at the Monitoring reports for the process and I see that it doesn't appear to affect the timing (the timestamp is usually the same or 1 second from the timestamp of the next step).

Sorry that I didn't think to look at that before posting this. I think I can get more insights into exactly what is dragging down the time between clicking save and the application reloading.

There is a Performance Analyzer that will drill down into the parts of a Sync operation and give you an idea of where most of the time is being spent.  I recommend starting with this analyzer.

You can find it under the Mange->Monitor->Performance Profile section

Top Labels in this Space