Create a new spreadsheet in sheets from the app

So.....I would like the app user to create a "new job" in the app, which automatically creates a copy of a sheet with the same data and names it as "new job 1" etc. Is this doable?  

0 9 394
9 REPLIES 9

Yes. Create an automation that includes a Call a script task that invokes an Apps Script script to perform the sheet duplication. Note that the sheet copy won't be available as a table in the app.

Thanks,

Could you recommend a no / low code app platform that would allow the sheet to be used as a table in a new page?

I think you would need to pair the app platform with automation software--e.g., use Microsoft's Power Apps along with Power Automate. Even then, it seems unlikely easy or perhaps even necessary to have any app connect to a new data source on the fly.

If you describe what you're trying to accomplish via this technique someone might be able to suggest an alternative technique using AppSheet. For example, maybe you just new new rows in the same table along with a column to indicate which job each row belongs to. There are various community contributors who have posted techniques for creating such seed rows.

Hi dbaum! I'm new to the community and I can't figure out how to message people directly so I thought this might work..
My company is looking for an expert appsheets developer to fix some bugs we're experiencing on our app. If you're interested in helping us, please give me your email address so that I can send you the specifics. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your time! Legend. 

Ill try to describe it;

- User logs on

- Hits "Create new job" button, which then makes the user fill out a form with the job name, number and other specific job details. (lets call this Job A)

- This creates a new set of 4 x different forms to fill out (pile details, daily reports, daily safety meetings, cement sample form) with the data in the forms saved to a spreadsheet somewhere with the job details. 

- Repeat and create "job b". These same 4 x forms are then supplied but when they are completed each time the data is saved to a new place (With job B's details)

- User can then log back on each day and select Job A or B, see the already completed forms AND then fill out the forms multiple times with the corresponding data going to the respective spreadsheet. 

Am I on the right track using appsheet?

TIA.

Hiya

I am not sure why others are suggesting using apps scripts for doing some of these things but just going by what you said above you can make a form and set other bits to be hidden or not usable until a earlier part of the form is filled out. Once the initial bit is completed it makes the rest active. See screen grabs I have quickly made below, not sure if this is of any help?

Main ScreenMain ScreenMain display of all jobs. Can add a new job using the + as normal or press on existing jobs to get more information

Create JobCreate JobNew Job addition. Can't use the 'Pile Details' etc until all 'Job sheet' is done, they activate once data is in the form

Only available after filling first page inOnly available after filling first page inData entered in first sheet so these extra tabs are now active

Job DetailsJob DetailsExample of how the details of the forms would display in the app

In the 'SHOW?' section for the column I used:

and(
ISNOTBLANK([Job CONTACT]),
ISNOTBLANK([job name]),
ISNOTBLANK([job address])
)

This makes it so I can only use the Pile Details tab once those three values have valid data entered (would also use the same on the 'Daily Reports' tab as well and the others tabs after...

stomuk_1-1663939913755.png

Not sure if this is of any use to you? ๐Ÿ™‚

@Driller wrote:

Am I on the right track using appsheet?

Not if you truly need "a copy of a sheet" for some reason.

Nonetheless, you don't need separate sheets to otherwise accomplish within AppSheet everything else you describe. Consider using The "item-detail" data pattern to create a Jobs parent table with one or child tables. Also, as @stomuk explained, it might be appropriate to simply use a single Jobs table with no child tables or maybe only a single child table with the data for the "4 x different forms" for each job.

@Driller The immediate solution that comes to mind would be using the Google Apps Script task as part of a bot.  I know you could do it that way.  Possibly through the Sheets API using a Webhook, but I'd have to think about that.  For sure Google Apps Script could do it, assuming you are running on Google Sheets.

Top Labels in this Space