Create a "Start Job" and "End Job" button and record time

Hello - Still a newbie. I’m building an app to track installations onsite at a hotel property. Techs will be installing beacons, aggregators, and gateways in every building, floor, and area (rooms, suites, bathrooms, hallways, etc.) - different numbers of each in each area.

There will be an initial survey with the property layout and how many beacons, aggregators, and gateways are required for each area. Anyway, I’d like to track how long it takes a tech to install each item. I’d like to have a button on the app that says “Start” which will automatically log the current time into a field (without having to enter the time), and another button that says “End” to similarly record the end time.

Is there a sample app that contains something similar? The sample apps are great. Thanks.

0 6 556
6 REPLIES 6

Is it possible to automatically record the time a job starts without entering the hour and minutes manually? Similar to the Now() or Today() function for a date? I need users to enter the time they begin a job (at the time they begin it) and similarly for the time they end a job. However, I don’t want the user to enter it manually (it’s a little cumbersome, and the techs will never do it - see image below). The Now() function actually records the time with the date (in Excel), however, when I tested in appsheet, it recorded the date with a 12:00 am timestamp.
2X_5_54633b1acb794da9f20e7359308241d070f54038.png

Setting the initial value expression to NOW() will populate the column with the current date & time.

Thanks Steve. I actually used the timenow() function and that gave me a “Set time” screen with the current time. I only had to click “Set” to populate the field with the time. I was able to do that from the phone, but not from the desktop when creating the app. If I add a record from the desktop, I get the --:–:-- option. Why can’t I view the “Set Time” screen on the desktop?

The time “picker” that allows you to choose a time is a tool provided by the operating system, not by AppSheet itself. Unfortunately, AppSheet has no control how the operating system presents the picker or how the picker operates.

Thank you - makes sense. Appreciate it. I’ve having loads of fun here!

Top Labels in this Space