Creating new parent & child record with Actions from an old parent record

Hi

I have two tables, let’s say A & B

B is the child of A

My requirement is to trigger a grouped action from the Detailed View of a Form for a particular record (call it Old Record) based on Table A which will:

• Create a new record in Table A with some field values populated from the old Record
  • Take the user to the Add Form page with the New Record just created in Table A open, showing some of the field values populated from the Old Record as above
  • Allow the user to enter values for some other fields manually for the New Table A Record
  • User then navigates to the nested child form based on Table B
  • In the nested child form, one field is populated based on a value from the Table A Old Record
  • Some other fields are manually entered in the nested form of Table B
  • After doing all this both the parent and child new records are saved

The challenge seems to be that the new child record takes the parent reference field value from the key of the Old Record. So, the new child is becoming the child of the old parent record. Whereas what I want is for the new child record reference field value to come from the key value of the new parent Record…so that the new child is the child of the new parent record

Can someone please point me on the right direction?

0 1 79
1 REPLY 1

I guess you managed to do all of this and the problem you have is what you explain at the end

@Sitalia wrote:

The challenge seems to be that the new child record takes the parent reference field value from the key of the Old Record. So, the new child is becoming the child of the old parent record. Whereas what I want is for the new child record reference field value to come from the key value of the new parent Record…so that the new child is the child of the new parent record

You need to share with us the expressions/actions you are using because clearly this is not done by default.

I would just make the parent record using a "Add a new row to a table using values of this row" or just "Go to another view within this app" with a link to form.

Then the table B, apart from being a child, should be configured as IsPartOf so that the add button is shown inside of the form of the table A, and your relation shouldn't be messed at all.

If you also want the new record of table B to have some values from the child of the old table A record, that could be a little bit messy, but not so much neither

Top Labels in this Space