Creating view redirections in the primary view

Hi !
So first i'm really new with AppSheets. I'm trying to work on a personnal project related to Pokemon games and gathering my collection. 

I'm linking that with a Google Sheets that works pretty well. I've got some basics to work but i'm hitting a little wall here. 

When I open the app, I've my primary view to load. It's a list of games (a page on my google sheet) and the idea is when you click on it, it redirects you to the right view based on the related generation of game.

But I can't get it right. Like the best outcome I could get was to make a column in my sheet called "Ref" create direct links. But when I do that it opens a new tab which ends being a mess. If I try to use the ref or view method, it just allows me to select ONE view to redirect for all the lines which I don't really want.

What could be my solutions here ?
I can provide more informations if necessary.

I also have a little question : The idea for the project is to be only for me. I've seen in that situation some limits in the amount of pages / lines. Does it applies if you use a google sheet for the data ? Because in the future i'd need way much more than 20 pages.

Thanks !

Solved Solved
0 9 408
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Set a row select behavior to a LINKTOVIEW action.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

So you click on a game, and what do you want to see? I don't know what "related generation of game" means. I'd assume you'd want to see the detail view of the game you just clicked on, which is the default behavior, is that not what you want?

I've seen in that situation some limits in the amount of pages / lines

First, let's use proper terms to avoid confusion. I assume "pages" and "lines" translates to "tables" and "records" respectively, right? Where have you seen these limits? There should not be any hard limits for these. 20 tables is pretty big though, not really sure how you could get there with just an app for a trading card game, you might be building the app inefficiently.

Thanks a lot for your answer. First of all, I'm French so yeah it might be some confusion between the terms used in English and the ones used in French sorry for that x_x.

Pretty much, it's about the video games. So here's my actual setup : 

• I've a view for Pokemon from the first Generation (Red, Blue, Yellow games)
  • I've a view for Pokémon from the second Generation (Gold, Silver, Crystal)

My main page has a list of these games. I would like when you click on one of these games, it opens the right view (1st or 2nd generation)

For the second part, you're correct for the translation ! And here's my reference: Google Support. 20 Tables is big I know, but like in my ideal setup I'd like one table (which translate by 1 Table on my Google Sheet either) per Pokemon Game. So you hit 20 Tables pretty fast. I can workaround but it'd need even more work.

Thanks again !

Ahh, those limits are just for Appsheet Database feature, while it's in preview. Not for Google Sheets.

I don't think you want 1 table per game. More likely you probably should have a [game] column in one big table.

Okay that's cool. Even if I don't hit this limit, I had a doubt about it. It's just in case. Well it's my actual setup with one generation per table. So a Generation 1 table for Generation 1 Pokemon etc. But I'd like to have more control and filters in which Pokemon i'm missing in a specific game, without impacting the count in the total generation (it's a complicated mess but when I'm dealing with around 20k of Pokemon infos, i try to be as clean as possible) 

So now my only focus / worring part is to make the home page to work as I'd like haha

Just bumping this since still looking for a solution for the first part 

Oh, sorry, didn't realize there was still an open question here.

I believe you're having issues with the navigation, partially due to your poor data design. I suggest you rethink your data design.

Otherwise, I'd still need more specifics about your data & app setup, and what exactly you're wanting to do, to answer your first question.

No problem haha. Thanks for coming back.

I don't really see how a poor data design could be related on that issue x_x. Like, I'm just trying to be able to create a main page that would navigate between different views without opening a new page etc.

Here's a visual of it atm. I just want redirection to different views.

Vladcik_0-1687134437659.png

Thanks o/

Set a row select behavior to a LINKTOVIEW action.

Thanks a lot ! Got it to work, I was just dumb. I was already using a LINKTOVIEW action refering to my google sheet with each row defining a view.
But my mistake was I've put my reference wrong. 

Vladcik_0-1687196856883.png

I was using ["Ref"]. I'm feeling so dumb.
Thanks a lot !

Top Labels in this Space