Curiosity moment: What's required to work on the AppSheet team?

As the title says, this is just a simple question not related to the AppSheet platform (or maybe more related that any other one?)

This is just a thing that I was thinking out loud.

What's the technical knowledge required to work inside the AppSheet backend team?

This seems interesting!

@pravse @FrankW 

1 6 214
6 REPLIES 6

Haha, yes. For starters, anyone working as a software engineer at AppSheet now has to pass the general Google developer interview. After that is when it gets specialized to a specific team based on skills and interest.

AppSheet's backend itself is not fundamentally different from any other scalable SaaS service. There's knowledge of cloud infrastructure and systems design that helps. And then there are more specific skills like knowledge of data modeling, query processing, transaction processing, etc --- things that usually are learnt when building the innards of database systems and data warehousing/analytics systems. We do have people with some knowledge of programming languages/compilers. But mostly, what passes for "general backend dev" skills.

@pravse I'm seizing the opportunity to jump in with another curiosity 😀 In what language(s) AppSheet code is written please? 

I know this is not related to the post's question but it is also a curiosity, an obsessing one 🤔and you are answering curiosities today, aren't you 🙏😃 Thanks much!

Hi @Joseph_Seddik , our backend is written in C#. Our front-end (editor and web app) is implemented in Javascript. The mobile app hosts in Android and iOS are implemented respectively in Java and Swift (which are the recommended languages for each of those platforms). And then there's sundry other stuff (eg: our machine learning logic uses Python). 

@pravse Much appreciated!

I found some classes on my app's code on browser that made me think you are using React

Is that true? 🤔

Also, now that AppSheet is a Google Company, what about flutter?

...and if anyone is looking for a job with AppSheet this query should show you the ones specifically about AppSheet.

https://careers.google.com/jobs/results/?distance=50&q=AppSheet

It doesn't capture everything we are hiring as for the bulk of engineering and PM roles don't have individual postings, but go through the Google "bulk hiring" process, where basically Google continuously looks for new developers and internally we then get to hire through that effort. e.g. I believe right now we are hiring frontend devs through that process.

Top Labels in this Space