Custom initial value in form view

Hello!
I have tables “companies”, “contacts” and “phones”. One company has many contacts and many phones.
In the detailed view of the companies, a list of related phones is displayed. The “add” action opens a form for adding a new row to the “phones” table. The “company” field on this form has an auto-generated initial value. Form has a “contact” field. The drop-down list with data validation expression allows to select a contact from the list of related contacts or create a new contact.
Is it possible to fill initial value of the “company” field when adding a new contact similar to the value in the previous form?

0 3 227
3 REPLIES 3

When adding a new child record from the inline view (Related Table) with the add button, the Form UX cannot know from which parent record the form is launched. Therefore the company value will always be empty and you need to choose the record from the dropdown.

Levent, thanks for your answer.
Is it true that i cannot modify the “add” action on a form?

Not directly. Even-though you modify it, it won’t work because when adding a record from the inline view, the Form UX still can’t know from which parent data the form is launced from. I may advise this:

• Create a Read-Only slice from the child table
  • Edit the REF_ROWS() expression in your [Related Records] column slightly and change its reference association to that slice
  • With this, the ADD button will be removed from the inline view as the slice is set to READ_ONLY.
  • Create an Action in the parent table with a LINKTOFORM() deep link
LINKTOFORM("Your_Form_View_Name_Here",[KeyColumnName],UNIQUEID(),[RefColumnName],[_THISROW].[RefColumnName])

When this action button is pressed, it will launch the Form UX but as assigned, it will aware of from which parent ref it’s coming from.

Top Labels in this Space