Database asking for confirmation of changes when nothing has changed

If I open a row in record view my options to close this view are Cancel and Save.  If I click on Cancel I'm still asked if I want to discard the changes - when nothing has been changed.

This is:

A) annoying because I have to do two actions to close the view when one would suffice.

b) misleading as it makes the user think that something has [inadvertently] been changed when it hasn't.

Is this how it should be?

1 10 98
10 REPLIES 10

A little further info:

If I click on Save to close a view the database then records me as having updated the the row when all I have done is viewed it. Again, this is misleading.

TedM_0-1668427482002.png

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet Databases is in preview and is not suitable for use in any important app.

Please report AppSheet Database problems here:

Introducing new AppSheet database feature in publi... - Google Cloud Community

I think you're mixing up Form views with Detail views. Form views are for making changes. Detail views are for viewing the record.

Regardless, if all I have done is view a row surely the DB shouldn't record this as an update...... Nothing has changed!

But that's not all you did. You opened a form to edit the record, and you clicked save. Opening a form to edit the record causes all formulas to re-evaluate, which is where the new modification timestamp value is coming from. You then told it to save those changes.

I may be wrong here but I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm
not talking about looking at data in the app - I understand that just fine
- I'm looking at the database itself where there is no form or detail view
or any formulas.

This is my current scenario:
Each row in the database relates to an inspection - looking at the
calendar view is a great way [for my client] to see what inspections have
been done when.

If I click on an inspection it opens in Record view which allows the row to
be edited - the two options to close the record/view are:
Cancel - when then asks if I'm sure I want to discard the changes even
though I haven't made any. This implies that something has changed when it
hasn't and can be confusing.

Save - which changes the modification date and, again, implies that
something has changed when it hasn't.

It seems like there should be a way to simply close the record view without
extra 'confusion'.

Oh I see, that wasn't clear.

Though I'm unable to reproduce what you're describing. If I open a record from the calendar view, I can click cancel without it asking me to discard any changes.

This is an AppSheet Database problem, not an AppSheet (proper) problem. The Database product is in preview and has many bugs and should not be used except for experimentation. Problems with and questions about Database should be directed to the link I provided above.

Which I have done.

TedM_0-1668520568716.png

This is after clicking Cancel

๐Ÿค”

Top Labels in this Space