Database structure strategy

So I'm not sure about this database scenario.

In app 1, I have a catalog table with over 100,000+ records to choose from.  In this same app, I have another table that functions as a preferred list of that catalog.  I've created this preferred list to function like a filter to reduce the catalog size in app 2.

In app 2, users only use the filtered catalog data governed by the preferred list.  They have no need for the complete catalog.

Question: thinking of app performance - is it a good strategy to filter a large catalog table using another table (preferred list) for app 2, or should I just copy over information from the catalog to my preferred list in app 1 and ditch the catalog table in app 2? 

I would prefer to not copy data to another table, but if app performance requires it, I will.

0 5 151
5 REPLIES 5

How is the preferred list filtering the catalog?

or should I just copy over information from the catalog to my preferred list in app 1 and ditch the catalog table in app 2? 

I can't imagine what this could possibly mean, in relation the the rest of what you said. I think you need to elaborate here.

So at the security level of the catalog table, I use a function like IN().  

FITLER("Catalog", IN([_THISROW].[Catalog Record ID], SELECT(Preferred List [Catalog Record ID], TRUE))) 

Multiple customers will be selecting their own list from the same "Catalog" to drive functionality specific to each customer.  My thought is that I don't want each customer's app to have to download the entire catalog for performance considerations, but maybe I'm over thinking the app performance issue.

@tlewis wrote:

So at the security level of the catalog table, I use a function like IN().  

FITLER("Catalog", IN([_THISROW].[Catalog Record ID], SELECT(Preferred List [Catalog Record ID], TRUE))) 

I hope you mean: IN( [Catalog Record ID] , Preferred List[Catalog Record ID] )

-------

I think I understand you now. Your choice is between using the above security filter on app2, versus creating a new table, that is a copy of the catalog, but only contains a subset of records. Right?

What kind of data source are we talking about here? If it's a spreadsheet, I might go with the 2nd option, because even with a Security Filter, it still has to load all records initially. If it's a SQL database, then the first option could be usable because a well-formed Security Filter expression can be translated into a SQL query.

Thanks for your patience, Marc.

"subset" - Yes you are correct.

So I want to use the new AppSheet Database that is currently in preview mode.  Would that force me into creating a "subset"?

I have no idea about that.
Top Labels in this Space