Date formatting

Wondering when Appsheet will provide the option for proper international date formatting rather than the current US formatting? I know the dates can be reformatted in virtual columns but this does not solve all the problems.

Solved Solved
1 6 288
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The view showing the US format...on what device are you viewing it on.  If in a Browser, such as the AppSheet Editor or while running the Browser version of the app, then make sure the Browser app you are using is also set correctly to the locale you wish.

Any reformatting expressions inserted into the app?

Does the date display this same way on a mobile device?  Is the locale set to desired setting on that device? 

If all of the above check out as okay, then you need to submit this to AppSheet support as a bug.  With the locale settings set equally, the editing and display of the saved value should show in the same locale format.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AppSheet apps already support Localization which will format Dates , Numbers and Decimal values based on the geographic locale specified by the setting.  Simply update each Table you want subjected to the defined Locale.  Also, make sure that the underlying sheet is set with the correct locale to avoid any conflicts.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 1.50.34 PM.png

Thank you. Yes, I have made the changes to the tables, but the views are still in US format. i.e. the view shows US format but when you edit the field it shows the local format. The only solution I have found is to add the virtual columns.

@redhothat wrote:

but the views are still in US format. i.e. the view shows US format but when you edit the field it shows the local format.

Can you give examples of what you mean?  What "view" is showing US format?  Be specific.

When editing the Date field, show the example of local format (I assume the correct format?)?

The reason I ask to show these is that others seem to be having opposite issues.  Date in views are correct format but when editing it's in US format.

Hi. I am getting US format in any view that uses that field. Below is a screen shot from a Details view off a Table view.

redhothat_0-1696146764286.png

Then if you edit it you get this. The Table Data Locale is set to English (New Zealand).

redhothat_1-1696146796336.png

The view showing the US format...on what device are you viewing it on.  If in a Browser, such as the AppSheet Editor or while running the Browser version of the app, then make sure the Browser app you are using is also set correctly to the locale you wish.

Any reformatting expressions inserted into the app?

Does the date display this same way on a mobile device?  Is the locale set to desired setting on that device? 

If all of the above check out as okay, then you need to submit this to AppSheet support as a bug.  With the locale settings set equally, the editing and display of the saved value should show in the same locale format.

Thank you. My error. I thought I had set Chrome to be using the local format but I hadn't removed US (and it was ranked higher) so it was overiding my local setting. Silly mistake.

Top Labels in this Space