Daylight saving time offset with Google Calendar?

GCal is set up as a datasource, with Bots entering events based on data entered in other AppSheet tables. This works, BUT:

Any events after 31. March (begin of daylight saving time in Germany) are synced to GCal with start and end dates +1h, so an entry that _should_ start at 10 is entered into the Google calendar starting at 11. Both for bot-created events and manual entries into the calendar via AppSheet.

This can't be expected behavior?

I could imagine including some sort of IF(date is after 31. March then use start and end time minus 1) into the bot actions, but this seems messy.

Solved Solved
0 3 372
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

As Aleksi mentioned , yes there is no native support in AppSheet/ GCAL for this.

@JMacFeegle wrote:

I could imagine including some sort of IF(date is after 31. March then use start and end time minus 1) into the bot actions, but this seems messy.

You are correct. An IF() based solution may be needed based on daylight saving dates. Another post on similar lines just in case it helps.

Re: Timezone bug - Google Cloud Community

View solution in original post

Update to solution in case anyone stumbles across this:

The mentioned if() construction worked AS LONG AS THE CURRENT DATE WAS OUTSIDE DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME, then it added the events with wrong start/end times again regardless of them falling in- or outside of DST.

Frankly, I did not feel like digging into the whole thing again and adding some sort of logic IF(current date within DST),  so I opted for a different solution:

Events that should be added to Google Calendar are added to a separate table with references to the original records, and then Zapier adds them to the Google Calendar. No fuss with adding/subtracting anything there, 10:00 remains 10:00 whether or not it's within DST.

Added bonus, Zapier can then add the Google Calendar Entry ID into that table, so automated updates to that entry are easier later on.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Unfortunately this is a known bug.. for many years.

As Aleksi mentioned , yes there is no native support in AppSheet/ GCAL for this.

@JMacFeegle wrote:

You are correct. An IF() based solution may be needed based on daylight saving dates. Another post on similar lines just in case it helps.

Re: Timezone bug - Google Cloud Community

Update to solution in case anyone stumbles across this:

The mentioned if() construction worked AS LONG AS THE CURRENT DATE WAS OUTSIDE DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME, then it added the events with wrong start/end times again regardless of them falling in- or outside of DST.

Frankly, I did not feel like digging into the whole thing again and adding some sort of logic IF(current date within DST),  so I opted for a different solution:

Events that should be added to Google Calendar are added to a separate table with references to the original records, and then Zapier adds them to the Google Calendar. No fuss with adding/subtracting anything there, 10:00 remains 10:00 whether or not it's within DST.

Added bonus, Zapier can then add the Google Calendar Entry ID into that table, so automated updates to that entry are easier later on.

Top Labels in this Space