Deep Linking with copying the data between the apps

Hi, 

I have a big app and want to make it faster by splitting it's functionalities into smaller apps linked together. 

I know that we can use LINKTOAPP and other deep link funcions. 

But is it possible to for ex. create connection and copying the data from one app to another?
I know you can do that if you put the same data source in both apps. 

[Like: app 1  can create new customers and app 2 can take orders. 
If I want to send the data, I need both apps to connect to both tables: Customers, Orders. ]

I don't want it like that, because it would require that my main app (which is already quite big) has to have more tables in it. 
Is it possible? 
OR linking like that won't affect the performance?

Thanks in advance!

1 8 213
8 REPLIES 8

How do you envision copying the data would work if you don't have the data table added to the other app? Really confused what you're trying to ask here. Can you provide an example?

Splitting your data up into multiple apps is a great way to go for performance, but you have to split the tables along some logical dividing line, which all depends on your specific business logic. It sounds like you just haven't chosen the correct/best spot to divide them.

That is why I am asking if it is possible.

I was envisioning it like that: 
App 1 takes orders (date, Order_id, details etc.)
Then it sends only the order_ID to App 2 which stores customers. And thanks to that, App2 can see which orders wer made by which customer. 

I know it is possible with adding the same datasources to both apps. But I am concerned about performance, especially when my main app is getting quite big. 

This really isn't making much sense still.

In your example, are you saying that you'd want App2 to only have a list of order_ids per customer, but not any of the rest of the data/columns from the orders table? Such a thing could be accomplished on the backend with a "view" of the main table. The term "view" is from SQL, if you're using such a source I'd imagine you're already familiar. If you're using a GSheet source, you could accomplish this with a FILTER or QUERY formula on a new tab. Then you'd load the view/new-tab into app2, instead of the entire orders table.

This is only the example to visualize the concept, nothing else. I've got many tables, many views and functionalities and my main concern is about the performance of the main apps. 

I conclude that this is not possible, correct?

I'd say it's a bad example then.

I do not know if it is possible or not, because I still don't know what you're asking.

Seriously....

I wrote it clearly asking: 
"But is it possible to for ex. create connection and copying the data from one app to another?" 

I added that I DON'T WANT to connect both apps to the same data source because I am concerned about performance in the main app.
Because as far as I learnt, more tables = more columns = slower performance. 

I also asked 3 times about performance issue when we have so many tables but I haven't received answer from you.

My question regards only sending data from one app to another.
In my example, App 1 sends order_id to App 2. 
App 1 has it's own table.
App 2 has it's own table. 
The only common thing between them is that App 2 has column "order_ID" in it's table, which need somehow to get that data from App 1.

Whereas you stick with the idea of having the same data source in both apps and filtering it depending on what I need (like views or slices).

If the structure and architecture of such solution is wrong, then I can understand that.
I am still learning in this field. 

I really don't like to argue or go further into this. 
So if there is no other answer, let's consider this topic as finished. 

Yes its possible to get data from 2 sources without them loaded in 1 app through Appsheet API. Althought considering you need get your hands dirty with appscript.

https://support.google.com/appsheet/topic/10105767?hl=en&ref_topic=10101404&sjid=5573571566701618435...

Just want to point out that you can “firewall” apps from each other’s data sources, via bot JSON POST.

it is not very performant, and has limitations, but it is possible.

In the simplest setup, when a data change occurs on a row in one app, you can POST that row to the second app, and process it accordingly.

Appsheet will obey validation when it receives the JSON data. Depending on whether you want to handle rows one-at-a-time or in bulk will be different solutions. 

I can’t speak from experience, but I have to assume that the performance would be very poor, but it would address the large tables concern. 

Top Labels in this Space