Dependant Dropdown based on another dropdown referencing certain columns

Hey all, I am deferring to the masters of appsheet currently as i am stuck on a problem that has plagued me for a while and would love to hear the workaround! appreciate any amount of time spent on my problem and thank you all for being awesome!

I am creating an Invoice form and it has specific sizes based on what the item is, ie. T Shirts 4-6 years, 7-8 etc while hoodies are XS, Small etc

I would love to create a dropdown which comes up after you select the item based on the choice in the form

I am wondering whats the best way to manage this inside my main google sheet and how to deal within Appsheet also, is my current way viable? willing to change literally all of it haha

Solved Solved
0 3 134
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I suggest a separate record for every option. So for your example of sizes per clothing type, a Table like this would be how I would set it up.

3X_0_7_0793787dc2faca9d71aa85a2c2466ea1d7611d60.png

You can then easily pull the dependent dropdown values for the size column with valid_if=

SELECT(
  size_table[size] ,
  [clothing_type] = [_THISROW].[clothing_type]
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I suggest a separate record for every option. So for your example of sizes per clothing type, a Table like this would be how I would set it up.

3X_0_7_0793787dc2faca9d71aa85a2c2466ea1d7611d60.png

You can then easily pull the dependent dropdown values for the size column with valid_if=

SELECT(
  size_table[size] ,
  [clothing_type] = [_THISROW].[clothing_type]
)

Literally perfect! thanks for the near on immediate reply!

@Marc_Dillon way works well (probably better) and is concise if set up properly.

This way will work with your current system - (this goes in the Valid If column of the Size field)

IFS(
  [Clothing Item] = "Tee Shirts", Clothing Sizes[Tee Shirts],
  [Clothing Item] = "Trousers", Clothing Sizes[Trousers]
)

You can just add all of the columns you need as well.

There may be notation that is more concise than I have written it.

Top Labels in this Space