Dependent Dropdown Question

Hi Yaโ€™ll

Iโ€™m a non-dev generalist and my background is in tech docs and Iโ€™m building my first app.

Itโ€™s a four-level selector tool to provide decision support for healthcare workers.

I have a google sheets tool that I built with some simple dropdowns and formulas. Iโ€™m a total hack, but it works fine. Now I want to create a mobile app that I can show SMEs, get feedback, and quickly update on my own.

• All data is in one google sheet table
  • App content will be read-only
  • Initial selection has 9 unique values that will not change
  • Using valid-if on the other 3 selections

For now, I just want to get one view working:

1. Select four criteria
  2. Display the result as details of that row/record on the screen

Iโ€™ve watched the Dependent Dropdown video and poked around in the sample app. The issue I have is in order to display the dropdowns, I need to โ€œaddโ€.

How do I get the all four dropdowns to just display on the screen?

1 2 209
  • UX
2 REPLIES 2

Hey @rickmcdata, welcome to the community.

First: you might check out the following post; itโ€™s full of tons of helpful tips to help you get stared with using the community to find answers.

Iโ€™m guessing the problem youโ€™re having is that the dropdowns are all programmed into your sheet - but theyโ€™re not automagically working in your appโ€ฆ yes?

Youโ€™ll need to โ€œAddโ€ the options for your dropdowns into your Enum columns by either:

1. adding the options direction into the Enum options (hard-coding them in other words); or
  2. creating a valid if/suggested values formula that pulls the values from another table or from a formula or something.

Bottom line, youโ€™ve got to provide options to the system (AppSheet that is) in order for there to be anything for the system to use.

Thanks for the reply!

The sheet I am using as source for my app in Appsheet is data only. No formulas.

Yeah, Iโ€™m going to hardcode enums now and figure out the formulas down the line.

I was hoping to find a read-only product selector in the sample apps, but havenโ€™t found one. Iโ€™ll just build the product selector sample app myself when I get this figured out. Appsheet seems like a great solution.

Top Labels in this Space