Detail View Always Takes me to the Same Record

Hello,

I have a Students1 table. From that table, I created several slices. Every student has an advisor, and each advisor has their own slice.

I noticed that the detail views for each slice seemed to be different. So instead of trying to manage them independently, I changed the Row Selection Event Action from Auto to โ€œStudents1 detail viewโ€ thinking advisors could click on their student, and see the same detail view theyโ€™d see in the Students1 table.

However, it seems that clicking on a row always takes the user to the detail view of our very first student, instead of the student that was clicked on.

Is this a bug? And if not, is there a way to change the event action so that clicking on a record in the slice takes the user to the detail view of that particular record?

Thank you!

0 6 197
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much!

I tried to create a LINKTOROW expression, but I must have done something wrong. Now when clicking on a student in a slice, it redirects to the Students view (but not a particular student). Hereโ€™s the action:

And the expression:

Thank you!

You shouldnโ€™t be dereferencing [_THISROW] in the Target expression.

Hi Steve,

Itโ€™s still not working for me. I must have confused myself somewhere along the way.

I tried using LINKTOROW([@lfccadulted.com email], Students), and that still takes me to the Students view, and not a particular row.

Is that how the expression should look? My thinking is the first element in the () tells AppSheet to get the value from [@lfccadulted.com email] in the row the user clicks on, and then the second element tells AppSheet to go to the record in the Students view with a key that matches the email value in the current row. But no dice.

I guess maybe I need to signify I want to use the column value of the row clicked on? At first, I thought maybe I needed [_THISROW] to do that. Is there some other way to do that?

It would be nice to have the whole table schema and the name of your slices.
Also, you need a way to identify or relate each slice to each student

Thank you for responding. Iโ€™m not exactly sure what would be included in the table Schema. Is this what you need?

There are 50 columns in the Students1 table, which feeds the Students view. I can post them all if that would be helpful. Just let me know. Here are the first few columns, including the key:

Slice names: Justins Students, Leeanns students, Katies students, Madys students, Kelseys students, Natashas students, Brandies students.

The slices, and the corresponding views, should all be identical. The only difference is that each slice is filtered so that only students with the appropriate value in the [Advisor] column are shown in that slice.

Iโ€™m not sure what you mean when you say I need a way to identify or relate each slice to each student. Students are included in a particular slice, or not, based on their assigned advisor.

I think I understand the LINKTOROW expression Steve shared. I just donโ€™t know how to write the row-key expression so that AppSheet checks the [@lfccadulted.com email] column of the row the user clicks. I thought using [_THISROW].[@lfccadulted.com email] would let me specify I want to use the value of the row being clicked on, but I guess thatโ€™s not the case. If not that, I assume thereโ€™s a standard [_CLICKEDROW] expression or something similar, but I canโ€™t find anything like that.

Top Labels in this Space