Detail view in Dashboard

I currently have a Dashboard view for a task management app, containing Not Started, Ongoing , Pending Approval tasks , and a Detail View (Task Detail). The thing is, even if nothing is selected, the detail view shows the columns of the first row.

Is it possible to have the detail view show nothing if nothing is selected ? I checked out some samples, that does exactly this, but could not figure out how.

Any help is appreciated. 

Solved Solved
0 8 387
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try to make a dummy record in your table that has blank values everywhere except for the key column. And make sure it is the first record in the table. "First" can mean different things for different sources, on a spreadsheet it just means on the first row (or rather, row number 2), but on a SQL database, it'd mean it's key value would need to be alphabetically first, so something like "00000000". In at least one app of mine, this works to initially display this record in the detail view until the user actually selects something else. I also went a step further to add a little graphic into that record, and a text that says "Select a record to view" or similar.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Interactive dashboard, right? Is the detail view on the same table or slice that the collection view is on?

Yes, it is an interactive dashboard. The detail view is on the same table.

Sorry, poorly worded question on my part. I meant to ask if both the collection view and detail view were on the same Slice (including both being on the same base table, if not a slice). I believe I've seen the behavior you're describing when one view is on one slice while the other view is on another.

Not Started , Ongoing , Pending Approval are all slices of table Tasks ( sliced on the basis of task status). The detail view has base table Tasks .Tasks.png

The detail view is not based off of a slice, but the main table.

Try to make a dummy record in your table that has blank values everywhere except for the key column. And make sure it is the first record in the table. "First" can mean different things for different sources, on a spreadsheet it just means on the first row (or rather, row number 2), but on a SQL database, it'd mean it's key value would need to be alphabetically first, so something like "00000000". In at least one app of mine, this works to initially display this record in the detail view until the user actually selects something else. I also went a step further to add a little graphic into that record, and a text that says "Select a record to view" or similar.

Not exactly the solution i wanted, but a good workaround. Thanks. Much Appreciated!!

thernepal_0-1675404960356.png

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Desktop View is currently a preview feature and under active development. Preview features are not yet suitable for use in important apps. Until it has achieved greater stability, I recommend against using this preview feature except for testing and to help the AppSheet developers in their efforts. To follow the progress of and contribute to the development effort, please visit this dedicated Community topic:

In Preview: New UI design for desktop users

Top Labels in this Space