Detecting Reset-mode ChangeCounter changes

Can someone tell me how thisrow_before and thisrow_after are going to work or not work in a workflow when trying to detect changes in a Reset-mode ChangeCounter type colum? Will the “before” be 0 since it resets, or will it be the previous value?

0 6 463
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I would expect _BEFORE to be the row as stored before being loaded into the form, and _AFTER to be the row as stored after the form is saved. You should test to confirm.

That’s what I was trying to avoid by posting here

Thanks Multi-Tech, I didn’t know that, I figured it would count the number of columns that changed, and I was worried about “what if the number of changed columns is the same this time as last time”. However it still comes down to the original question.

I agree with Steve:

I don’t expect this type of setup to work though:

The change counter only counts when something has been saved, like: I open the form, fill in a dozen columns of data in there, it only records 1 change (because the record has been edited one time). When I come back in, that’s another change - even if I make a whole bunch of changes, it’s still only 1.

So your counter won’t sky rocket with each edit, if that’s what you’re looking for.

In that case, I don’t think the workflow would detect a change in value there.

However if you remove the reset on edit part, then the workflow would only fire whenever somebody actually resulted in a change of something. Because if you open the form, don’t make any changes to anything, and save the form there’s no edits that were made.

Yah, I’m definitely going to change the mode from “Reset” to “Accumulate”. Honestly I probably won’t even test my original question because I’m busy/lazy

BTW it appears you might be thinking about the “reset on edit” selection, and not the “Update Mode” of a Change type column.

Touche, yes I was. However the answer is still the same.

Top Labels in this Space