Difficulty adding a numbering column in report template

Hi AppSheet Community,

I have a report that emails a PDF of a table of inspections conducted in a month. I want to add a column that numbers each inspection. See below for an example of this:

However, I can’t get my head around how I’d go around setting this up in the template. I was hoping <<[_ROWNUMBER]>> would be enough, but that reproduces the source table’s row number. See below for my current results:

Here’s a viewable link to the template. I may be overthinking this because the problem seems simple. I’d appreciate any help. Thank you

0 3 615
3 REPLIES 3

This is one of those “it seems so simple yet it’s not” things; there are a few of these in appsheet.

@Phil when I try and wrap my head around a formula that would work in this situation, I’m constantly coming back to the idea that the record being written out needs to be aware of where it sits - or at least know how many have come before - and I’m not sure that’s possible; is it?

I was thinking a hack might be to find the first record’s rownumber, then subtract that from them all giving us a count; but when you delete records via appsheet it leaves a blank row - so sometimes the numbering can get off. So this won’t work.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

There’s no good way to do what you want with AppSheet.

@Sergio_Guzman One way to do this is with nested table structure on your template. This is just a sample and it doesn’t look nice on a pdf. But the idea is just to show you how you can do it at this moment.

2X_a_ae8a5a7b5e22bb8a6afdf67f097cd42b46e47692.png

Top Labels in this Space