Display Inline action only in Detail views

I'm wondering how can I attach an action to a column (display inline) only in Detail views, kind of the way that system generated "View ref" actions work. 

I've set Only if this condition is true in the Behavior of my action to 

CONTEXT("VIEWTYPE") = "Detail"

along with other conditions. In Detail views the action is indeed attached to the column as expected. However, in views that have tables, the column is gone--no column header, no values.

I figure that the condition is applied per row and it's not displaying anything because the condition is returning FALSE in table views. 

How can I achieve the same behavior as system generated "view ref" actions, in which the action is attached to a column that only displays in Detail view?

Solved Solved
1 8 779
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You could try creating a slice to use for the table view and exclude the action from that slice.

View solution in original post

Another option could be to create a VC with an expression [Column Name] , The [Column Name]  is the column to which you have attached the inline action in detail view. The display name of this VC can be same as that of [Column Name]

For this VC you can have show_if as CONTEXT("ViewType") ="Table" or whatever other views you wish to show it apart from detail view.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You could try creating a slice to use for the table view and exclude the action from that slice.

That solution worked! Thank you.

In addition to creating a new slice for the table view, I also had to create a new action to jump from the table view using the new slice to the detail view using the original slice.

It's definitively a solution to my problem. However, I rather not have slices with little purpose and more actions to manage.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Another option could be to create a VC with an expression [Column Name] , The [Column Name]  is the column to which you have attached the inline action in detail view. The display name of this VC can be same as that of [Column Name]

For this VC you can have show_if as CONTEXT("ViewType") ="Table" or whatever other views you wish to show it apart from detail view.

Thank you. This option works as well.

I like your idea of making a copy of the column to which I want to attach the action.

In addition to displaying the duplicate column only in Table view (where it is currently missing), I will also use show_if in the original column to only display in Detail view. This will eliminate the "whitespace" that seems to appear in Table view when the action's condition returns false.

Thank you everyone!

I have used both of the above solutions before, though they just add complexity that I feed Appsheet could easily resolve.

In my opinion would be ideal if Appsheet created a config options for Inline Actions
a) display the Action Icon only in Table View (as it currently does)
b) display the Text only in Table View, but show Action in Detail view
c) display the Action Icon + Text only in Table View, but show Action in Detail view

There are use cases for all 3 - but we'd mainly use option (c)

@Tom_Graham wrote:

In my opinion would be ideal if Appsheet created a config options for Inline Actions
a) display the Action Icon only in Table View (as it currently does)
b) display the Text only in Table View, but show Action in Detail view
c) display the Action Icon + Text only in Table View, but show Action in Detail view

There are use cases for all 3 - but we'd mainly use option (c)

These are some good configuration options. If you post these in feature ideas section, there will be a better chance of it getting noticed for actual implementation "to-do" list by the AppSheet team.

yep I did exactly that - added into Feature Ideas (UX label)
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/Inline-Actions-Config-option-to-choose-to-disp...

Praveen has implemented some of suggestions before... really hoping this one gets done too ๐Ÿ™‚

Great, I upvoted. ๐Ÿ‘

Top Labels in this Space