Display fields for a Table View

I have an app that allows technicians to install Beacons, Aggregators, and Gateways for a hotel property. The tech must select the Building of the Property, the Floor, and the Area (hotel room, suite, bathroom, hallway, etc.) in which the installation will occur.

Once the tech selects the building and floor, he is then presented with the “Areas” and must select whether he’s installing a beacon, aggregator or gateway. Sometimes the tech forgets at this point what building and floor he selected. Since you cannot display a header at the top of the screen for a table view, I thought of including an inline action to popup the building and floor selected. There are probably other ways to accomplish the same thing, but nonetheless.

I created a table view called “Location” and ordered the 3 columns “Building”, “Floor”, and “Area”. I created an inline action called “Display Location” with a building icon.

In the “Display Location” action, I’m using the following syntax to only show the building, floor and area of the record I’m on:

LINKTOROW([_THISROW],“Location”)

However, I’m getting everything when I click the building icon:

2X_e_e80191a7aab6fce66b3334def24117e74141727b.png

What’s wrong with the syntax or what am I missing. It seems like a simple issue (i.e., to EASILY display the building and floor), but I’m stumped. Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 9 405
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Location view had been a table view. which displays an entire table regardless. Using LINKTOROW() with a table, deck, or gallery view with any row reference is (as far as I can tell) equivalent to using LINKTOVIEW(), which takes no row reference.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

What I would do is in the table where the beacons etc are recorded i’d add 3 virtual columns to record the name of the “Building”, “Floor”, and “Area”. Then you can display these either the first table view. But also they’d be availble in the form when adding a beacon etc.

You could combine them into 1 column with CONCATENATE if this makes it easier to read

Simon@1minManager.com

Thank you Simon! Yea, I thought of that, but based on the way I will be receiving the data (and the model I’ve set up), I’m trying to avoid adding virtual columns.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Change the Location view type from table to detail.

Thank you. That worked! I’ve decided to create a separate field, though, as I think that makes more sense, to show the bldg and floor on the table view. I wish you could add a heading at the top of the table view (like you can for a deck view).

For understanding purposes, isn’t the reason the LINKTOROW() didn’t work is because it needed the Row ID of the Location table?

So it should be expressed as

LINKTOROW([_THISROW].[Location Row ID],“Location”)

If you don’t have the Location table Row ID (e.g. its a UNIQUEID()), then you can use LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW() and specify the filtering criteria to narrow the rows down to the single row you wished.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

The Location view had been a table view. which displays an entire table regardless. Using LINKTOROW() with a table, deck, or gallery view with any row reference is (as far as I can tell) equivalent to using LINKTOVIEW(), which takes no row reference.

Ok. Good to know. I didn’t take the time to play it this time - too busy!!

This is what I’m here for.

Steve you’re the best! You too John!

Top Labels in this Space