Do Virtual Columns Not Show Up in Card View?

I am trying to set up a Card View to show a list of names, which is a virtual column in the table that I am using to create the Card View. But the column name does not appear in any of the drop down lists in any of the ‘Column to show’ options. Is that because it is a virtual column? Or may there be some other reason it does not show up as an option? All of the other, non-virtual columns do appear as options. I tried a work around of making the column non-virtual, but I learned that Column data type ‘List’ can only be used for virtual columns, so that ended up not being an option. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tony

Solved Solved
0 2 331
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don’t think it has to do with it being a Virtual Column but rather the column type. The Card view really only has 3 column types it supports - Image, Text and LongText.

You can create a column of a different type such as LongText and assign that - shown below.

It might be worth it to mention that, as strange as it seems, you can assign the VC Lists to the Image placeholders. The view will show it as an Inline Table like in Detail views. I found in the past that the behavior was clunky so backed out of using it this way but maybe they have fixed it since…there were bugs opened. See additional images below.

Defined VC as a LongText assigned by SELECT

Assigned VC to Card View

Result in Card View
3X_b_8_b83aa0cf39de83c0db477a595c48f35843a88ac1.png

Assigning VC Related List to Image Placeholder in Card View

Result is Inline Table

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I don’t think it has to do with it being a Virtual Column but rather the column type. The Card view really only has 3 column types it supports - Image, Text and LongText.

You can create a column of a different type such as LongText and assign that - shown below.

It might be worth it to mention that, as strange as it seems, you can assign the VC Lists to the Image placeholders. The view will show it as an Inline Table like in Detail views. I found in the past that the behavior was clunky so backed out of using it this way but maybe they have fixed it since…there were bugs opened. See additional images below.

Defined VC as a LongText assigned by SELECT

Assigned VC to Card View

Result in Card View
3X_b_8_b83aa0cf39de83c0db477a595c48f35843a88ac1.png

Assigning VC Related List to Image Placeholder in Card View

Result is Inline Table

Thank you! I defined my VC as a LongText and that worked.

Cheers,
Tony

Top Labels in this Space