Documentation for complete novices on how to use a template app

I'm considering writing a "Tips and Tricks" for beginners about how to copy and use an AppSheet template app.  For experienced AppSheet users, this may be so rudimentary as to seem too obvious to even require an explanation.  However, to get my students to use an app that I have published as a template, I really need to walk them through the process step by step.

So, here's my question:  Has AppSheet published a clear explanation for beginners about the steps required to copy and begin using a template app on one's smartphone?

Again, it's pretty darn basic but I remember being confused about this when I first began using AppSheet.

If there is no official guide regarding how to do this, I may write one up and publish it on "Tips and Tricks."  Then, I would hope that that URL could be given to folks who are not developers but might be interested in using a specific template on their phones.

Should I do that?

By the way, this inquiry of mine is related to another "Tips" I've written up about how to publish a template / sample app:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/How-to-share-your-app-as-a-template-sample-app-v...

As some others have pointed how, this kind of documentation should really be done officially by AppSheet but, until that time comes, I'm willing to try to fill the void.

Solved Solved
3 10 179
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi!

There is a copy app topic here: Copy apps

I can enhance this to include how to copy a template app, as well. Would that be helpful?

Thank you @Steve and @Kirk_Masden for continuing to provide tips and tricks! 🙂

Liz

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Kirk_Masden wrote:

Should I do that?

Yes, please!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Attn @lizlynch 

Hi!

There is a copy app topic here: Copy apps

I can enhance this to include how to copy a template app, as well. Would that be helpful?

Thank you @Steve and @Kirk_Masden for continuing to provide tips and tricks! 🙂

Liz

Thanks @lizlynch !  It looks like the link you were trying to share may be missing.  Could you share it again, please?

Oops! I've updated the response above! Thank you!

Thanks!  This is good.  I accepted it as the solution because this answered my question about what is currently in the documentation. I'll refer to or link to this in what I write but my post will be a longer one in which I take a beginner from login to opening the copied app on a phone.

@Kirk_Masden - I'm happy to merge your steps into the docs! 🙂

Oops!  Actually, I forgot to link to what you shared with me.  Please take a look at how I put my post together and let me know if you'd like me to add anything:
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/How-to-start-using-an-app-on-your-phone/m-p/4614...

@Kirk_Masden wrote:

my post will be a longer one in which I take a beginner from login to opening the copied app on a phone

Here it is!  I'll be happy to fix any problems anyone notices and tells me about:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/How-to-start-using-an-app-on-your-phone/m-p/4614...

Top Labels in this Space