Dynamic data for dropdown lists - incorporating user input

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to appsheet and am building an inventory management system for my company (we make and sell craft beer). Here's an example of what I need to do:

Products dataset: 
Create a new item (e.g. "Funky IPA")

Order dataset:
Schedule an order. Under the "product" dropdown it needs to pull the available items / data from the "Products dataset" 

Right now I've built this all with appsheet using a linked googlesheet. The problem is that new data entered into the app as a "product" or whatever will not show up in other parts of the app's dropdown lists unless I manually "refresh schema" from the backend. 

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. 

Our app requires many dynamically updating fields like this where input into one section carries over into the dropdown selections in another section. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

Solved Solved
0 4 142
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dsmith890 ,

Than you for the revert. I believe your earlier question is answered. The following question related to filtering records  is a totally new question. May I request you to post a new question for a new requirement in future? This will help you to get a faster and possibly better answer because many community members will see a new fresh question.

@dsmith890 wrote:

But I need to be able to filter the available reference selections by fields I create such as "active" and "inactive" 

This is a standard requirement in any app. Please take a look at the help article on slices.

Slices: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Slice row filter conditions - AppSheet Help

For a more secured and efficient ( from app sync point of view)and secured  way of filtering records, you may also take a look at the security filters.

Security filters: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@dsmith890 wrote:

Right now I've built this all with appsheet using a linked googlesheet. The problem is that new data entered into the app as a "product" or whatever will not show up in other parts of the app's dropdown lists unless I manually "refresh schema" from the backend. 

Please take a look at the referencing between table article.

References between tables - AppSheet Help

Also please take a look at the following sample app that is much similar to the functionality you are builsing.

Order Capture How-to - AppSheet

There are many sample apps listed in the article Get started by using the feature samples - AppSheet Help

Hello Suvrutt_Gurjar, 

Thank you so much for the answer! This partially (mostly) answers my question!

I have reworked my table with references but have a related issue. But I need to be able to filter the available reference selections by fields I create such as "active" and "inactive" 

For example, I might select my item called "Funky IPA" from my product dataset via a reference to that dataset. But later I need to discontinue that item but not delete it from the database. 

I can create a field in that dataset called "Active" / "Inactive" and use data validation to make sure inactive items are not selected. But I don't see how I can filter these out so they are not shown at all when referencing that dataset. Is this possible? 

Hi @dsmith890 ,

Than you for the revert. I believe your earlier question is answered. The following question related to filtering records  is a totally new question. May I request you to post a new question for a new requirement in future? This will help you to get a faster and possibly better answer because many community members will see a new fresh question.

@dsmith890 wrote:

But I need to be able to filter the available reference selections by fields I create such as "active" and "inactive" 

This is a standard requirement in any app. Please take a look at the help article on slices.

Slices: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Slice row filter conditions - AppSheet Help

For a more secured and efficient ( from app sync point of view)and secured  way of filtering records, you may also take a look at the security filters.

Security filters: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

You both answered my followup, and instructed me on better use of this forum. You are a scholar and a gentleperson. Thank you 🙂 

Top Labels in this Space