Dynamic list(?) making

There’s a table with say, 3 columns beside the key.

Month&year, Name of bond, Return. It holds values for 8 different types of bonds over the course of roughly 5 years. Meaning a total of 12x5x8=480 records roughly.

There’s another table with useremail() as one column, and theres a child of it where one can enter any percentage combination from the eight bonds, that should total to 100. Say bond A 30%, bond B 20%, bond C 50%.

What I want to achieve here is to write in a table/virtual column list (I honestly cant figure it out) the return values of the chosen combination over the same period of 5 years.
So for each month, the return of combination would be = A return x 0.3 + B return x 0.2 + C return x 0.5,
basically a function of the chosen returns. This would be repeated for all the 60 months for one combination. Probably I would want to store it physically in a table beacuse I want to plot it vs month for 5 years.

I cant figure out how to store those calculated numbers. Should I store it in a new table ? Or is there any other way whatsoever? Please help.

1 5 147
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @Pratyay_Rakshit

You mention something about a child record, so I’m assuming you’re using references already.

If so, what you could do is create a virtual field on the “bond percentage table” that calculates the current value for each record - then you could create some SELECT() formula, wrapped in a SUM(), to pull the specific records you want and get your total.

Something like that? Or are you looking to create some sort of Projection type of system; where you can see how things will grow/progress over time?

If you’re wanting to do something like that, then you need to have some sort of “element” for each grouping you want to calculate for.

• A column for each group
  • A record in a table for each month

Stuff like that.

Yes, but additionally I have to do this for each month for the past 5 years. The current as well as the previous ones, against months. And plot them. For just one combination of input from the user

I am not sure it’s a good fit to do all this in the app. Better to use scripting, IMHO.

Any resources for that please?

I’ve been getting requests for scripting requirements but I have had to pass on them since I barely know anything about them. Can you point me to some resources where I can learn from and achieve this one target?

I would actually go about this in a different way then; I would actually create a table to store all of this information, seeing is how it’s basically archived data once it’s generated.

You can easily use the background record creation action in conjunction with a scheduled report, o generate these on a schedule, and use a reference to connect those data point records to the individual items.

Top Labels in this Space