Easiest way to order information in a referenced table ๐Ÿ˜‡

Hello,

I have a referenced table where people register their daily work. For example, if they visit one client, they fill the information, then they go visiting another client and so on.

The thing is that, when they send their daily work, the email that I get is not in order of their visits.

Captura de ecrรฃ 2022-08-01 123433.jpg

In this example as you can see, the numbers are not in order. Maybe one way of doing that is to create a new column and as they fill the information, it will increment the number and then filter by this column? Hope you can understand it. thank you.

Solved Solved
0 10 166
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I always have a [DATE SUBMITTED] column in all my tables with inital value of TODAY(), and it is always hidden from users.  This is what I use to sort entries on the order it was received so we can do FIFO. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

You can customize the table-type view that is used for the table you note. One available property is sort order. The view is likely named something like Detalhes Relatorio Diarios_Inline.

dbaum_0-1659357463302.png

Hello,

I'm aware of this option, but I don't know how I can "tell" the system what was the order that someone placed the information. For example, I cannot sort the information by the name of the client. I want to sort by the people/client they visited first.

It was better like this to understand? Thank you. 

If your need is not to sort by the [Cliente S/Listagem] column noted in your screenshot, then I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

No matter what, if the data you need to sort by is not in your table, then you won't be able to sort based on that data.

That said, maybe sorting by the [_ROWNUMBER] column is what you need? That would sort based on the order in which the rows were created. Nonetheless, my guess is that that's the default sort order you're already seeing and isn't meeting your need.

I tried to sort by using [_ROWNUMBER] but it doesnยดt worked. Is possible to create a new column that adds automatically numbers to the data that I fill and then maybe I can sort it that way.

If I write down something that line gets the number 1, if I add another line it gets the number 2 and so on.. It's better for understand what I want to accomplish? Thanks

I'm not sure what doesn't work about [_ROWNUMBER] for your scenario, nor how it would be any different to dedicate an additional field with an incrementing number that's functionally equivalent to [_ROWNUMBER]. I suggest share screenshots or other details illustrating what you have configured that's not working as you expect.

Also, consider @JPAlpano's technique of adding a column with an expression like UTCNOW() in the Initial value property:

I always have a [DATE SUBMITTED] column in all my tables with inital value of TODAY(), and it is always hidden from users. This is what I use to sort entries on the order it was received so we can do FIFO.

Just echoing @dbaum's words.

I learned that [_RowNumber] is not the right column for the job, although it saves time.
Prefer a datetime column to sort from newest to oldest or viceversa.

Also make sure to prevent sequential numbering wherever you think you need it since AppSheet apps work offline and doesn't support real time sync so you could end up with duplicate numbers

Thank you for your time and patience ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sort by the row number, the app sort it well, but not as I like to do it. 

Captura de ecrรฃ 2022-08-02 142651.jpg

In this example, the first name that I choose was the client 100 Golpadas and to control what client I choose first I placed the sort number on the column [Cliente S/Listagem] (just for guidance).

The correct sort for what I want should be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, where the row number should be like this:
3455 = 1
3456 = 2
3457 = 3
3458 = 4
3459 = 5

Thanks

I always have a [DATE SUBMITTED] column in all my tables with inital value of TODAY(), and it is always hidden from users.  This is what I use to sort entries on the order it was received so we can do FIFO. 

@mjoninhas Hope you can mark as SOLVED if you found any of our suggestions work for you. This is also for the benefit of other users who may be looking for the same solution.  Thanks.

Top Labels in this Space