Edit Data of Multiple Rows at Once

I am trying to figure out how to make it possible to edit multiple rows that have the same data columns after multi-selecting the rows. 

For example: We are doing maintenance on power poles. We want the field workers while using the app to select multiple poles and update the data, such as the date the work started, the status (in progress / completed) etc. all at once. Instead of going in to each pole and having to put in the same data for however many poles they had worked on for the day. 

Is this possible to do with Actions, or something else? 

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 9 2,331
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes this seems like what I am looking for! Through reading these links, I have not been able to figure out how to open the form when the button is clicked. 

mal_brzwire_0-1658493525022.png

The Image above shows that I am able to select multiple rows.

mal_brzwire_1-1658493597881.png

This image above shows that the multi-update action I created is available to click. 

mal_brzwire_2-1658493679741.png

This image above is what I used to make the multi-update action. 

mal_brzwire_3-1658493743547.png

This image above shows an example of using the INPUT() function. 

When I click the multi-update action in the second photo, nothing happens. I am unsure how to open up the form to update the values of the columns for those selected rows. 

This is what is written in the "Use dynamic inputs for data change actions":

mal_brzwire_4-1658494723325.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yes, please evaluate bulk actions.

Use bulk actions - AppSheet Help

Thank you for your reply!

I have actually created a bulk action of updating the data. However, when I select the rows I want to update and then click the bulk action of updating I have created, it still only updates the data one by one. The form will come up to update, I will put in the data and click save, and the next form will come up for another row selected. And this will keep happening until all selected row forms have been either updated and saved, or cancelled. 

I think there is could be some misunderstanding on your part. The bulk actions are actually row level actions, in detail views that one can select together in summary views because in summary views  one can select multiple records. .

In summary view such as table or deck when the user selects multiple rows , the action icon shows up in the right hand side top in app.

As an example , in table view, you can select rows by tapping on the checkbox icon at the top right.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1658424469955.png

Then the user selects the rows by tapping on empty square icon in each row at the left. Three rows selected below. On selecting rows, the action icons shows on the right top. When user taps it the action executes on all selected rows.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1658424643733.png

Yes I think I am probably misunderstanding some of this. So the action you have in your example is the delete action. In my case it would be the edit action. What I am not understanding is clicking the action button at the top and having the form come up to input/edit data, and only having to input/edit once and have it apply to each row selected. 

Oh okay, you wrote , "In my case it would be the edit action. "

It sounds you are looking for INPUT() function based data change actions.

New INPUT() function --- binding dynamic inputs to... - Google Cloud Community

INPUT() - AppSheet Help

Use dynamic inputs for data change actions - AppSheet Help

Yes this seems like what I am looking for! Through reading these links, I have not been able to figure out how to open the form when the button is clicked. 

mal_brzwire_0-1658493525022.png

The Image above shows that I am able to select multiple rows.

mal_brzwire_1-1658493597881.png

This image above shows that the multi-update action I created is available to click. 

mal_brzwire_2-1658493679741.png

This image above is what I used to make the multi-update action. 

mal_brzwire_3-1658493743547.png

This image above shows an example of using the INPUT() function. 

When I click the multi-update action in the second photo, nothing happens. I am unsure how to open up the form to update the values of the columns for those selected rows. 

This is what is written in the "Use dynamic inputs for data change actions":

mal_brzwire_4-1658494723325.png

Could you check of  your view based on a slice? If so , please check if the actions are enabled for that slice. 

Your other action configuration looks good to me.

Edit: 

Please ignore suggestion about checking in slice, since any way the action is showing.

Yes, correct when you click you should see a pop up form like below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1658495927861.png

My Poles view is not based on a slice, it is based on the full table. And in that data table I only have it available to "Update" the data, not "Add" or "Delete"

I didn't work at first, but after a while the pop up form starting working! 

Thank you for all of your help

Top Labels in this Space