Edit multiple fields with [_thisrow_before] values on change in another field

Need help, stuck on this one seemingly simple issue!

My app displays items and their associated prices.

Columns:
ITEM | CURRENT PRICE | DATE CURRENT PRICE | FORMER PRICE | DATE FORMER PRICE

When [CURRENT PRICE] is changed by user input, field [DATE CURRENT PRICE] is populated with =today() via a bot that is triggered upon data change in that table with the condition
[_thisrow_before].[CURRENT PRICE]<>[_thisrow_after].[CURRENT PRICE] 

So far, so good.

Now, I want to populate [FORMER PRICE] and [DATE FORMER PRICE] with the respective [_thisrow_before] values of [CURRENT PRICE] and [DATE CURRENT PRICE].

I have added those actions to the bot (change [FORMER PRICE] to [_thisrow_before].[CURRENT PRICE] etc.), but in whatever order I call them upon change of [CURRENT PRICE], I am always left with today's date in [DATE FORMER PRICE] and/or the current price in [FORMER PRICE]! I believe I have briefly glimpsed the correct values in the sheet before they were overwritten by the wrong ones in one or more of the variations I tested. So I think the issue is that with each change in the row the before and after values are reset, and the updates to [CURRENT PRICE], [DATE CURRENT PRICE] etc. are each changes in the row.

Can anyone shed light on the situation AND/OR maybe point me in the direction of a simpler solution, which I have a feeling exists?

0 4 79
4 REPLIES 4

Actions do not have access to the BEFORE state of the row.

To get the same desired result, I suggest to instead adopt a "record ahead" approach and save the CURRENT Price and Date anytime there is a change. 

Now that explains a lot!

Not quite getting the suggested solution though, sorry (working on a very tired brain here). I am saving the CURRENT Price and date, whenever I update those I'd still have to move those values to the "former" columns, no?

Yes, sorry I mis-understood.  I had it in my mind you were writing the Former Price info to a separate table.

Now that I am on the same page.  It is a little simpler.  You don't need actions or bots at all.  You can do it all in the columns - and you can use BEFORE/AFTER.

In the "Former Price" column, set the Initial Value to be:

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Current Price]

In the "Date Former Price" column, set the Initial Value to be:

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Date Current Price]

Then set the "Reset on Edit" property in each of these columns with the expression: 

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Current Price] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Current Price] 

Anytime the current Price changes, the "Former" columns "Reset on Edit" will be activated causing the Initial Value to re-fire updating the "Former" columns with the BEFORE values of the "Current" columns. 

I hope this helps! 

Works like a charm! Used the same approach to update [DATE CURRENT PRICE] to today() without a bot. This is perfect, thank you so much!

Top Labels in this Space