Editing together leads to overwriting the changes

I have encountered the following problem:

In an app, different departments need to enter information about a case. These are not defined in a sequence so it happens that users work on the same case. If user 1 saves the information for his department in field A and then user 2 saves the information for his department in field B, the information in field A is set to empty again.

It seems to be the case that even if only field B is edited the whole row is beeing updated and since the field A (even if not even available to edit for User B) is not yet synced and therfore empty the field gets overwriten with empty.

This leads to a lot of frustation. Is there any way to just edit the field instead of the whole row or to be sure that every user can only work with the updated information (something like user 2 cannot save out of sync information) 

Solved Solved
0 4 170
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Pete_Bush wrote:

It seems to be the case that even if only field B is edited the whole row is beeing updated and since the field A (even if not even available to edit for User B) is not yet synced and therfore empty the field gets overwriten with empty.

That is exactly what's happening.

You need to structure your data differently, there's simply no way around it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Pete_Bush 

In my humble opinion, the best you could try it to turn these options this way.

Aurelien_1-1658490219901.png

Hi @Aurelien 

Thanks for your reply

Sadly, I alread have theese settings like u suggested.

Unfortunately, co-edition through the app is basically not possible.

These settings will allow to have the freshest possible information when editing, but every record is updated on a row, so there is no focus on one column specifically.

Any workaround would be tedious to implement, in my opinion.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Pete_Bush wrote:

That is exactly what's happening.

You need to structure your data differently, there's simply no way around it.

Top Labels in this Space