Error using switch() while setting edit button conditionals

hello friends,

I am trying to set my [contracts] table so that only users with specific roles can edit the data. The expression I am trying to use for the condition for the edit action button is:

switch(any(current user[Position]),
"super admin","true",
"admin","true",
"director","true",
"supervisor", [Creator] = useremail(),
"false")

However, whenever I update that, it does not work. The specific error I get is:

The availability condition '=switch(any(current user[Position]), "super admin","yes", "admin","yes", "director","yes", "supervisor", [Creator] = useremail(), "no")' of data action 'Edit' must return true or false

(I have tried this with yes/no and true/false)

It seems to be something particular to the switch statement that is causing trouble. The following statement works just fine:

in(any(current user[Position]),list("super admin", "admin","director","supervisor"))

and so does this:

[Creator] = useremail()

From my understanding, my switch() statement should result in true or false statements for each row. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

Solved Solved
0 6 160
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am not at my desk to test. But my one request will be to test without double quotes for TRUE and FALSE in the expression  the way I have suggested.

Typically double quotes convert a text to text strings

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I have got my original logic working with a different expression:

if(any(current user[Position]) = "supervisor",[Creator] = useremail(),
in(any(current user[Position]),list("super admin", "admin","director",))
)

Howwever how I understand the logic this should work the same as my switch() statement

It sounds that in the SWITCH() statement , for the position "supervisor", there is no evaluation of TRUE or FALSE, the resulting condition is missing. Also  [Creator] = useremail() appears to be out of place in the SWITCH() expression because it does not relate to the sub expression, any(current user[Position]) that SWITCH() is evaluating.

"super admin","true",
"admin","true",
"director","true",
"supervisor", [Creator] = useremail(),
"false")

Not tested, but you could try the following

OR(

SWITCH(ANY(current user[Position]),
"super admin", TRUE,
"admin",TRUE,
"director",TRUE,
"supervisor", TRUE,
FALSE),

[Creator] = USEREMAIL()

)

Thanks Suvrutt, however even if I switch the formula to not including the supervisor condition, it still doesn't work. this code:

"super admin","true",
"admin","true",
"director","true",
"supervisor", "true",
"false")

still throws the error:

The availability condition '=switch(any(current user[Position]), "super admin","true", "admin","true", "director","true", "supervisor", "true", "false")' of data action 'Edit' must return true or false

I have got the expression working using an if formula: 

if(any(current user[Position]) = "supervisor",[Creator] = useremail(),
in(any(current user[Position]),list("super admin", "admin","director",))
)

So I am good, but if anyone can enlighten why the switch() isn't working I would appreciate it ๐Ÿ™‚

I am not at my desk to test. But my one request will be to test without double quotes for TRUE and FALSE in the expression  the way I have suggested.

Typically double quotes convert a text to text strings

Welp that was it. Really thought I tested that. Thanks a bunch

You are welcome.

Top Labels in this Space