Expense management with multiple approval

Hi Team,

Would like to know can we have an app which can collect data /expenses details from employees and approved by their manager and then by Hr and finally it goes to Finance team for disbursement fortnightly.

Can you support in getting on the multi level approval demos / app

0 12 372
12 REPLIES 12

Hello @Stl_Dilip, it can be done, but you're gonna need some stuff to get it working:

1- An user system for separating roles for each user an giving permissions
2- A data structure that allows the users to upload their data as well as storing all the approvals required
3- Probably a virtual column for updating the status of the requests based on the presence or lack of approval from the different operators
4- Slices, lots of slices.

We were typing in tandem ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think for the purpose of solid data, in my experience, a non-virtual column for status fields is best - that way you can avoid double designation.

This is very easily done.

Depending on how you want to achieve it, here is my initial thought.

• User creates an entry on the table, there is a hidden/non-editable column that is automatically set to โ€œPENDINGโ€ (for example)
  • These entries are shown in a slice called โ€œPendingโ€
  • Then, an action button is visible to the person who can approve this. They click the button to approve, and it changed that status to โ€œ1st APPROVALโ€ or something
  • repeat the process as many times as required
  • the final stage can then email/we hook to accounting software, etc.

you can also add email, sms, we hook notifications for every step of this VERY easily.

I can elaborate on this a lot more if you need.

Indeed, but I do like VC for status checks, it works well when you have certain conditions that must be met in order to allow/block other functionalities hehe

Of course,

But in this use case, I believe itโ€™s simpler to use either an ENUM or just a hidden text field.

create a master user table with permission column with values such as โ€œEntryโ€, โ€œStage1โ€, โ€œstage2โ€, etc.

• button push 1 = STATUS1
  • slice = rows with STATUS1
  • Button push 2 = STATUS2
  • slice 2 = rows with STATUS2

Then create a view for each slice, set the view permissions to the relevant status

Set the same view permissions to the relevant action buttons

Incredibly simple, no need for really any VCโ€™s and is easy to audit/bulk process in the backend or on sheets with values visible.

Hi Ryan,

Can't we kept it simple with user updating.

1- the header for expenses name. 

2- the user adds the details of expenses.

3- Amount of expenditure

4- submit for approval

5- apporver one approves it goes to second approver 

6- finally it's goes to finance team for disbursement

That is exactly what my solution would achieve.

which part of it did you feel wasnโ€™t simple? 

Regardless, you are going to need a status column that determines the progress of the reimbursement. 

PS: i have built many apps that include this, as well as ones for purchase orders and work orders so the more info you can provide the better help I can try to offer.

Need demo to understand it better was how to achieve that.

lets start one by one, and ignore the user permissions for now.

Data structure:

• setup a table with the information you want to include and be approved
  • make sure to include a column that is called status (column type can be either ENUM or text)

Slice Setup

• Create a slice, with the condition of [Status] = โ€œSTATUS1โ€
  • Create a slice with the condition of [Status] = โ€œSTATUS2โ€
  • Create a slice with the condition of [Status] = โ€œApprovedโ€

let me know when you are complete with this, and I will happily steer you in the right direction from there.

Next Up:

• Views
  • Approval Actions
  • User Permissions

Would like to create like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2NQ3IdiI4

So are you asking for step-by-step instructions or for someone to build this for you?

Step by step solution

Top Labels in this Space