Expression Assistant Test & AppSheet Output are not the same

I have a virtual column with values computed through the following formula. Using the TEST feature, I was able to confirm that the expression result is what I need.

db-side.png

However, when I save this and load the table in the app, the values are DIFFERENT. Not only are the values not what I expect, every row has the same value.

appsheet-side.png

I've tried this alternative formula: SELECT(Skill Details[Skill],IN([Row ID],[_THISROW].[Skills][Skill])), but the expression assistant threw an error at me: Error in expression '[_THISROW].[Skills][Skill]' : Unable to find column 'Skills][Skill'

Any idea how I can fix this?

Solved Solved
0 6 133
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You will need an extra column for that

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

It doesn't work with the [_THISROW] as you noticed. I don't know where you are using this formula, but if you are doing this in the parent table, you can use just [Skills][Skill] to have that list.

I can't use [Skills][Skill] because it returns the "key" as opposed to the label.

This slice/view is for CSV export so I need to find a way to return the label for printing, otherwise the report will be unreadable.

I think the formula I used is correct; but I just don't understand why it doesn't translate from the Expression Assistant to the App. If I could see the App's computation process, I might be able to debug it but at this point, I'm basically down to trial & error until I get the values I need.

Would you please take a printscreen from your child table (from the editor), thanks.

The virtual column is in the Employee Profile table.

employee profile.png

skill details.png

skills.png

You will need an extra column for that

Thanks mate!

Added [Skill].[Skill] as a virtual column named _Skills in the Skills table.

Then I referenced that column in the Employee Profile using the formula: [Skills][_Skill]

Top Labels in this Space