Expression to fill field based on previous view click

Looking for some help with an expression/link.  

I have a table "Categories" that lists 5 Categories of items [Category], with 3-4 items each [Items].  I log these into a table "Log", using a form.  For selection, I have a deck view for "Categories", with the "Items" sorted underneath.  Using an action, I navigate to "Log" via a set of reference views that all feed to the "Log" table view ([LogView] column in the "Categories" table. i.e. views named "white", "black", "red" and linked using #view=White, etc).  

What I would like to do, is on the form we have a column called [Order],  when the user selects the specific item under the category on the deck view, after it navigates to the "Log" table, pre-populate the [Order] field based on the item that was selected.

For example:

Category Deck View

Widget 1

Blue

Black  *User clicks this one*

Form launches under the Widget 1 view action on the 'Black' line (feeds all to the same "log" form)

Log Form launches, and 'Black' is already filled in on the [Order] line of the form, as it was the line that was clicked

Is this possible?

0 3 110
3 REPLIES 3

Thanks, I've gone through this link and I am still running into issues getting it to work.  With the field that needs to be filled in column [order] on the table "log" form, and coming from several different possible views ('widget 1', [Item] 'black), how would I go about formatting this?  

Using the example above, what should the format be?

I can't suggest a precise expression without a clearer understanding of which columns are in which tables and the table context from which the action using LINKTOFORM would be invoked.

In general terms, work through the syntax detailed in the help article. It sounds like you need to focus on the "value" portion of the expression to return the value that you want to populate the designated column in the form for the new row.

LINKTOFORM(view, column, value, [column, value...])

• view - An expression that returns the name of the target view. The view named must be of type form.
  • column - An expression that returns the name of a column of the target table. 
  • value - An expression that returns a value for the column named by the immediate-preceding column argument. 
Top Labels in this Space