Failure Regenerate Structure after changing BigQuery table

JAG
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

So... looks like there are some more issues with have BigQuery tables as a data source. In my case, a table has been altered to remove a column. Trying to 'Regenerate Structure' fails with...

Data table 'broker_accounts' is not accessible due to: The service bigquery has thrown an exception. No HttpStatusCode was specified. Job hi-internal-dev-ef04/US/job_0a36f9a8_1b02_4790_9d4c_86fac18f344e contained 2 error(s). First error message: Unrecognized name: bbg_routing_id at [1:276].

I suspect that any kind of change to a table will result in the same.

0 4 455
4 REPLIES 4

JAG
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

OK. I deleted the old AppSheet application. And created a totally new AppSheet application. But I still cannot use the table; broker_accounts

Data table 'broker_accounts' is not accessible due to: The service bigquery has thrown an exception. No HttpStatusCode was specified. Job hi-internal-dev-ef04/US/job_c84185f2_23c3_4cdb_94a6_0407b069d7a3 contained 2 error(s). First error message: Unrecognized name: bbg_routing_id at [1:276].

GAG! Another BUG!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this.

JAG
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

From the Support team...

We have reproduced the error with your app while adding the 'broker_accounts' table. The issue is thrown from the BigQuery provider itself when adding the table to Appsheet, and Appsheet is displaying that message verbatim. Could you please look over the BigQuery logs and see the most recent log entries?

From your BigQuery log findings, we can further diagnose the issue. (We suspect it might be permissions related, i.e. permissions configured with your service account.)

So, I went into the application again, reproduced the error, and tried to find some logged messages. NOTHING. Tried again. NOTHING.

There's not much I (or others) can do now. The access to the table is BLOCKED until someone from the Google tech team fixes this.

JAG
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

From the Support team...

It's clear now that dropping a column using the CLI caused the BigQuery schema to be in a state where the schema json was out of sync with the actual table, so when Appsheet receives the API response from BigQuery, this difference will cause issues. Since this issue is coming from the BigQuery side (we simply call an API to get data from BQ), I am confident that using 'broker_accounts' table name will work if we take these steps:

Please delete the broker_accounts table from BigQuery and then re-add it using CLI. Note: Specify the *final* schema you wish to use in the broker_accounts.json in the CLI command, and then connect the BigQuery table to Appsheet. (Take care not to drop columns using the CLI, since that causes issues)

So... the BUG wasn't fixed. Instead, a workaround was provided.

Does AppSheet expect every user of BigQuery to raise a support issue?

Top Labels in this Space