False syncs and disappearing data

I have a strange issue. Of 16 users, using 20 apps, I have 1 individual who's having difficulty with creating entries, and having them sync correctly. I am having trouble finding what the root cause of the issue is.

This user has the same issue regardless of the platform iPhone, Android, & Laptop / Windows (Chrome). The user will make an entry in an app, hit save, sync, & everything seems to be correct at first. Yet the data isn't appearing in the data tables, and when the user goes back later to confirm the data was logged the app entry is gone. The error is sporadic, and I have not been able to isolate it to a singular app, or another user.  

On the users 3 most used apps I have set up the app sync settings as follows in an attempt to eliminate some of the places that could be "eating" the entries. 

Server caching  - OFF
Delta sync - OFF
Quick sync - OFF
Sync on start - ON
Delayed sync - OFF
Automatic updates - ON

The most obvious possibility would be user error. But my confidence in this user is high. I'm not expecting a solution based on flimsy information, but has anyone experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions? 

0 5 235
5 REPLIES 5

With "Delayed Sync" OFF, users will have a FULL Sync performed on each edit they make.  I think most App Creators turn this ON.  Data updates still occur automatically.  A FULL Sync only occurs when the user taps the Sync button.  In my opinion it gives a better user experience.

As for entries disappearing, Do you have Security Filters implemented?  If so then you want to check those closely.  The symptoms you are describing usually happen when a user enters a new row BUT the Security Filter removes it on the Sync. 

For example, I can set a Security Filter to FALSE.  This will prevent downloading of ANY rows.  But it does NOT prevent the user from entering the row.  Once the row is Saved, it WILL appear in the users view until the next Sync is performed and the Security Filter removes it.

I hope this helps!

@WillowMobileSys, Good thought on the security features. I just double checked and I'm clear on that front.  I appreciate the suggestion. This user might just be one of those magical evil-unicorn users who can just break tech by using it. 

@Tom_Stevens wrote:

This user might just be one of those magical evil-unicorn users

Data should never just disappear unexpectedly no matter how "evil" the user is.

@Tom_Stevens wrote:

Yet the data isn't appearing in the data tables

I overlooked this part of your description.  You are saying the user saves and all looks fine but then later the row is gone and it doesn't appear in the source data?

Have you checked the Audit Logs for errors written there?

This sounds more like either:

1. a Delete action is occurring
  2. Or there is some error at the data source preventing insertion of the row

so...

Do you have any Delete Bots implemented that could be kicking off by mistake?

Is your datasource a database?  If so, are there any constraints implemented or data type mismatch that causes an error on the database side?  I think both of these would surface as an error in the log files.

@WillowMobileSys 

I think you under estimate the evil-unicorn power lol.

- I have checked the audit logs for that user in 3 apps. All apps are clear and everything seems fine

- I have double checked all bots & actions. No delete actions exist

The 3 apps that I'm targeting for this user are really very basic Text or Enum choices. All of them use Google Sheet. None of them have sheet side  calculations.

I had the user do 3 entries with me yesterday on his phone app. 2 via wifi, the other over the LTE cell network. All of them logged correctly. I will be monitoring his inputs this week to see if the sync setting changes I made last week clear things up.

Also, just received an update from the User. They had some data saver features active on their phones. Those options have now been turned off. The user stated that the Apps actually worked better and synchronised faster.    

Top Labels in this Space