Fieldwork survey app for schools

I want to enter the width of a river, divide this by 10 and be able to enter a depth measurement at 10 points measuring 1/10 th of the way across each time to build a cross section. How can I set this up in Google sheets so the width and depth data are paired together. I can add a column for each measurement but then depth at these points has to be in a different column.

0 3 352
3 REPLIES 3

@Colin_Travis - wellโ€ฆ as usualโ€ฆ multiple ways to approach this.

The more flexible way would be to add a table for the depth measurements that is related to each river (or width if you need multiple width points). That requires proper key set up and multiple tables.

eg: RiverTable => WidthTable => DepthTable

If you know you always want exactly 10 depth points, then you could just set up 10 depth columns in the same tables as the width column. (eg: depth1, depth2 โ€ฆ depth10).

Second option is easier to start but is not as flexible. First option is slightly more complicated to set up but would allow you have as many points as you want per width.

Any thoughts which sounds like a better fit for you?

How about a combination of Width/Depth in a child table? River is the parent and then you could measure as many Width/Depth combinations as you like. Then itโ€™s also possible to make calculations in a parent record.

yesโ€ฆ depending upon your use case, might just need RiverTable and Width/Depth Table.

Top Labels in this Space