Filter Button

Hi there,

I organize the logistics and guide long cycling expeditions. I’m currently wrapping the plans for a 5 1/2 months trip that starts in about 6 weeks from the Arctic Ocean. I will be constantly having to deal with the bookings for restaurants and hotels for over 130 destinations (and 40 cyclists) and very often from my cell phone while lying on my tent at night, so an app can make it a lot easier than using a spreadsheet.
As a context, the tour lasts 5 1/2 months and a lot of people do the whole thing, but we also have broken it into 11 different “sections” so that people who can’t do the whole thing can also join for a few weeks.

I have a main “bookings” table with all the hotels for the entire trip on it. As you can see below, I created a slice for each of these “sections”.
2X_c_cf4603bc32f53e5523f36b55a94d76fb8343d2b3.jpeg

Now, I have columns for “confirmed?”, “deposit made?”, “rooming list sent?”, “big problem?”, etc., all with ENUM type columns.

I would like to create some kind of a “filter layer” or “filter view” that would hopefully work for the whole trip or any of these slices. So if I want to solve the problem of the hotels and campgrounds that haven’t received a deposit yet, as one example, I can quickly see them with one or two clicks, and I can do that for the whole trip or for any of the slices (parts of the trip). And the same for “rooming list” and so on.

Below a couple of screenshots of the ways I had visualized these buttons

Slice based on user input

Deeplinks

I visualized the list of hotels like the table view with a few buttons on top or the bottom for the filters like “deposit” “rooming list” etc.
And in the menu I would have the list for each part of the trip, and by clicking any of them I would have the same buttons to filter for “deposit” “rooming list” etc.

I’m under the impression that the same concept used for the sample app “Slice based on user input“ would work for my filters, although I still haven’t been able to figure it out yet. Is there really a way to do this or do I need to create a different slice for each part of the trip with each filter (like 66 slices)?

Thank you very much!

0 8 2,618
8 REPLIES 8

The “Slice based on user input” approach could be a good option for your app because then you would need to create only one deep link action. The cons is that it will save a new record every time when you request something and it needs to sync. Another workaround could be an interactive Dashboard view but it’s not good for small screens like mobile phones if you need to show lot of views etc.

Thank you @Aleksi
I am giving both approaches a try since they are both great opportunities to learn. But since that is a little beyond my skills right now I created a couple of new slices for the main table for the “not confirmed” and “no deposit” since this was urgent.

Since the slices for the sections of the trip usually only have about a dozen rows each, I thought of making sure the columns for “not confirmed” and “no deposit” were visible of the slice views and that is certainly helpful and possibly enough for those slices.

Having said that I’m struggling to make that work since some of the columns take the whole view even thou there is space available. I tried playing with column width and that didn’t do much. How do I customize that space on the views?

See attachment:

Thank you!

Instead of saving, try to Save & Verify. It will automatically adjust your column widths.

Thanks a lot @Aleksi
Where have you learned all of this? I’m loving it!
Is it possible for the columns to have headers in the views?

Thanks!

@Cabelo

From the Appsheet.com/support documentation:

Displaying column headers

You can choose to display your table’s column names in your app. To enable column name display, open your application in the Editor, go to the UX>Options tab, and set the ‘Explicit column headers’ check box. When you choose this option, your column widths will be expanded to accommodate the column name.

Thanks @Mike

Your welcome - and have fun on the learning journey. A lot of info can be found at appsheet.com/support.

@Cabelo In generally speaking I should say… with trials and errors. That’s the best way to learn… hard way, but the most affective

Top Labels in this Space