Filter rows based on a referenced table

Hi Team,
I have a table โ€œContratosโ€ where I can show filtered rows using the sentence [Usuario]=USEREMAIL() into a slice. It is OK !!!

The problem came when I must enable two or more users to see any row.

The first that I think is to add columns [Usuario 1], [Usuario 2] , [Usuario 3], etc into the table, and make and OR function over they.
This works but it is not an โ€œelegantโ€ solution, because I must add additional columns to avoid need change the table structure into Table definition and change the or sentence later.

I think that it can be made with a related table with the users enable to see each row, both related by ContratoID

Contratos Table
CTID - - - - Desc
1 - - - - - - - Contrato Auto
2 - - - - - - Contrato casa
3 - - - - - - - Contrato Yate

Usuarios Table
CTID - USERID - USEREMAIL
1 - - - - - - 1 - - - - - carlos@gmail.com
1 - - - - - - 2 - - - - - pedro@gmail.com
1- - - - - - -3 - - - - - juan@gmail.com
2 - - - - - - 1- - - - - carlos@gmail.com
3 - - - - - - 1- - - - - pedro@gmail.com
3 - - - - - - 2 - - - - - omar@gmail.com
3 - - - - - -3 - - - - --yates@gmail.com

But I can not to find how create a filter ussing related โ€œUsuariosโ€ table to see the rows into โ€œContratosโ€ table.

Is there a way to do it ???

Thanks in advance

Omar

Solved Solved
1 8 396
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GSuite.Omar_Poch

Oh great, then you will need to change slightly the structure of the app.

• You may want to rename โ€œUsuariosโ€ into โ€œcontratosUsuariosโ€ to make more sense.
    Then:
  • add a new column, which you will set as the new key_column
  • fill this column with unique values. I suggest you set k_00 in the first cell, and pull it to the last cell in order to get k_01, k_02, and so on.
  • create a new table โ€œUsuariosListโ€, with unique list of user emails that comes from contratosUsuarios. I suggest you use the expression =UNIQUE(SheetsContratosUsuarios!C:C) in your new sheet in order to quickly grab them ( I assume here it is the 3rd column on your sheets, i.e. column C). Then you can add a new column such as name and tick its Label properties (just a suggestion)
  • in table contratosUsuarios, set the UserMail column with type Ref, source table name UsuariosList

โ€ฆI think I didnโ€™t forget anything, that should do the job.
Le us know !

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @GSuite.Omar_Poch

not sure if that does the job because I donโ€™t know your table structure and type, but what about that ?

Assuming that:

• in Contratos table, the column CTID is type Ref or Enum (base Ref)
  • in Usuarios, CTID is type Enum (base Ref) or EnumList (base Ref) type
IN([CTID], 
  LOOKUP(
    USEREMAIL(),
    "Usuarios",
    "USEREMAIL",
    "CTID"
  )
)

If that doesnโ€™t do the job, can you share more informations on your table structure ?
Screenshot are best !

Hi Aurelien:
Thanks for your answer.
My english is not very good, and then I think that I did not describe the relation table well.

The tables are these

and

The data for example state is this ( I show both data at same sheet to clearity)

The users must see on Contratos table:

carlos@gmailcom only the row CTID=1,
pedro@gmail.com the rows CTID=1 and CTID=3
omar@gmail.com the rows CTID=1 and CTOD=3,
autos@gmail.com only the row CTID=3

Note: The USERID Column is a number inside each CTID, it is used only to shows how many users can see each row into โ€œcontratosโ€ table.

I think some as this:
The app go to โ€œUsuariosโ€ to filter it with [USER MAIL]=USEREMAIL()
For example if the user is omar@gmail, the โ€œUsuariosโ€ table will shows two rows

3X_3_0_307cc520edc9779b7ded9fe9aa7de73251665e3d.png

Then the โ€œContratosโ€ will be filtred to show CTID=1 and CTID=3-

I want that this description will be clear

Thanks again

Omar

Hi @GSuite.Omar_Poch

Thank you for sharing further information.

I suggest you change your data structure this way:

Table usuarios:

• CTID : type EnumList, base type Ref, source table name Contratos
  • User mail : set it to be key column
  • remove the _computedkey
  • then, remove some rows so that you have unique row per email.
  • Also, not necessary but I suggest you remove the column USERID, as the column USER MAIL will be the key_column. It all depend on your needs with that.

==> Now, you should be able to select multiple CTID per user.
So, after doing so, you will probably have something like:
3X_4_b_4b614b2bf3b9f45313e21028d0d02a430976f7a3.png

Contratos table:
this one is perfect, donโ€™t change anything

NOW:
take the expression described in my previous post, and set it as row filter condition for your slice.

Thanks a lot Aurelien. Especially for the time that youโ€™ve taken for answer my question

I will test your solution in a while, but I think the method is not going to be very practical in my case .

I forgot say you that the table โ€œContratosโ€ has near of 1.000 records, and the โ€œUsersโ€ near of 600. Sorry.

I โ€œdreamโ€ with and interfase similar to this:

I select Pedro user from a list table showed into a previus View. I can see the Pedroโ€™s contracts

Then I can go to next user and see his contracts

With this will be easier edit the โ€œUsuariosโ€ table.

Is possible to create a rutine to update data in the format that you say into โ€œAurelien Usuariosโ€ (your table).

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

Omar

Hi @GSuite.Omar_Poch

Oh great, then you will need to change slightly the structure of the app.

• You may want to rename โ€œUsuariosโ€ into โ€œcontratosUsuariosโ€ to make more sense.
    Then:
  • add a new column, which you will set as the new key_column
  • fill this column with unique values. I suggest you set k_00 in the first cell, and pull it to the last cell in order to get k_01, k_02, and so on.
  • create a new table โ€œUsuariosListโ€, with unique list of user emails that comes from contratosUsuarios. I suggest you use the expression =UNIQUE(SheetsContratosUsuarios!C:C) in your new sheet in order to quickly grab them ( I assume here it is the 3rd column on your sheets, i.e. column C). Then you can add a new column such as name and tick its Label properties (just a suggestion)
  • in table contratosUsuarios, set the UserMail column with type Ref, source table name UsuariosList

โ€ฆI think I didnโ€™t forget anything, that should do the job.
Le us know !

Yes Aurelien !!!
I modified the APP with your instructions, and it works !

Iโ€™ve created a slice to filter the โ€œUsuariosโ€ tableโ€ฆ
For test, I set the Row filter condition to any existing email (in this case pedro@gmail.com)
To deployed APP, I will replace it with [USER NAME] = USEREMAIL()

3X_4_b_4bd551d48f45e7ae6ec9f9250efef67d5de95e8a.png

Then I create a detail view based in this slice

3X_5_9_592936805f24fd13fd163703885c9c208450445b.png

Now I need to study which is the better way to show the data, but that will be another capitule in my AppSheet learning ( which is in the first stage)

Manyโ€ฆMANYโ€ฆVERY MANY THANKS for your help Aurelien !!. I hope I can to help you in the future

Omar

Hi @GSuite.Omar_Poch

Very glad to hear you succeeded !

One more tip, about testing: you can simulate any user email at entering it under the preview panel, on the right side of the editor.
โ€œPreview app asโ€

Thank to that, you can directly set your expression with USEREMAIL()

Cheers !

The user simulation is great for testing the APP.

Thanks Aurelien !

Omar

Top Labels in this Space