Find a bug (sort of..) causing "Connection Timed Out": app can write content that kills the Sheet

Hi! My app started not to sync. Error messages were useless. "Connection Timed Out" and it said that normally it is caused by some heavy virtual column. I copied the app, changed to google database and did many sort of things, but nothing helped. At one point I duplicated  my Google Sheet database and left only couple of lines of content. App started to work! So there is something messy in my content?! After copy-pasting content back couple of lines at the time, I got an error in Sheets: one of the cells had more than Sheets maximum amount of 50 000 character in it!?

In my app one of the data columns is "uploaded image" and another is "link to image file" which is generated by an app formula. I need that to access the full resolution image, as there is no easy way to do it. For some reason the app had had a big problem with one photo and had generated a link which had 750 000 characters in it. That was 125 pages in word ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

So the bug: Appsheet is able to write more characters into one cell in Sheets that Sheets allows or can handle. Limiting that could be a good idea. Finding a problem was really difficult as the error messages didnโ€™t give any tips. I ended up deleting all of my not-that-important virtual colums as the the error messages pointed out each and every of them. With no reason I guess, as the problem was not in any of them.

1 2 80
2 REPLIES 2

@mattila wrote:

So the bug: Appsheet is able to write more characters into one cell in Sheets that Sheets allows or can handle. Limiting that could be a good idea

@Arthur_Rallu @zito @cschalk_ws @lizlynch 

@SkrOYC @mattila  Thank you for reporting this issue. I have passed on the information to the AppSheet dev team.

Top Labels in this Space