Football Match stats - how to capture goals scored

It's a fairly trivial ask but i'm stumped on how to approach the problem. As the title suggests i'm creating a personal app to capture stats from Football matches. I have a few source tabs in a single sheet, Players, Fixtures, Results. Goals, Assists. I can happily ref the right tables to create the right relationships. Parent = Fixture with Results as child, and Goals and Assists as a Child of Results. Where i am stuck is how to capture goals scored in a game and associate them with a playerID, feeding eventually back up to the fixture. 

My tactical fix is just adding each player as a column in the goals table and adding goals per fixture, this doesn't give me the association with the playerID though that i'd like.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solved Solved
0 5 333
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One column per player is really bad data structure, please do not do that. Your Goals table should be something like this:

idMatchPlayerGoals

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @shoten, you can create, as you said, a child table called "Goals" and inside this child table also have a reference to the "Players" table, so that you can save the information regarding who scored the goal, same thing for assists as well.

Thanks for the response, appreciate the time. Dont think it quite achieves what i'd like. The columns in the goals sheet are named manually for each players name, i can then add a number to the relevant player but there is sadly no association with the playerID. I may have not implemented your suggestion correctly however but i do now see goals as an inline element of the player, albeit with no data for that player.  My ideal would be a drop down selection of the players names (ref to their row id)which when selected, i can then enter how many goals they scored. Obviously more than one player could score a goal in any given match. It's likely i just can't see the wood for the tree's at this point.

One column per player is really bad data structure, please do not do that. Your Goals table should be something like this:

idMatchPlayerGoals

Thanks for replying, yep it's nasty and seriously limits functionality. Would the above format allow for multiple players per match? .. as i type i think i see how .. new row entry per player who scored all related to the same fixture. Will give that a shot... thanks very much

Worked like a charm thank you .. and should have been staring me in the face. Thanks for the help.

Top Labels in this Space