Form suggestions or possibly table edit.

Im going to start by explaining the main points of whole project im working on.

The purpose of the APP is record keeping for a gaming community i belong to that is based on hockey.

Previously record keeping was done all by pictures and manually entering data one at a time by hand. I have created a command line script that uses curl to scrap this data and is returned in the form of a json of the past 5 games played by a team. Through other various tools the json is transformed to a CSV file and uploaded to google drive, followed by importing to a google sheet.

In this google sheets workbook, theres the imported game data, and theres a sheet to select the appropriate game that is ment for the league scheduled games(not every game of those five are league games, so selection is needed). After selecting it is saved and goes through other various manipulations for various types of data.

Currently im having to do this every night for every team. Im trying to have a way that every teams coach can enter this themselves simultaneously.

• I dont want to be doing that every night, especially as the league grows so will rhe number of teams.
  • Currently I am making informed educated guess as to what games need to be selected based on times played vs times scheduled. Deviations from this lead to errors, errors that might not be noticed until furth down the road.
  • Having the coaches do it will result in less possible errors since they will have on hand information to anything that might effect which games to select.

The reason I need it to be able to run simultaneously.

• having teams wait in line to enter stats just isn't ideal.
  • Most likely result in two teams trying to run it at the same time and cause issues.
  • alternative is creating a data input workbook for every team individually, then combining them later.
  • be tedious to set up and most likely results in the workbook functionality issues

Link to the current system i am using in google sheets.

• GetStats is where team and game selection is done.
  • Import is the raw data from google drive.
  • master is where all the calculations, sorting, filtering, and other various things.
  • summery is where the final result is saved.

Current game selection/input system 

also heres a link to the app itself 

AppSheet App 

2 REPLIES 2

@Dohman89 

I'm kind of starting fresh on this. Here's some ideas:

It sounds like you're looking for a way to allow coaches from multiple teams to input game data simultaneously without causing issues or errors. Here's a possible solution:

1. Create an AppSheet app that allows coaches to input game data for their respective teams. You can use the existing Google Sheets workbook as the data source for the app, or you can create a new data source if needed.

2. Set up the app so that each coach can only access and edit data for their own team. This can be done by using security filters or access controls in AppSheet.

3. Make sure that the app includes all the necessary columns for inputting game data, including team names, game IDs, dates, scores, etc. You can use the existing column structure from the Google Sheets workbook as a starting point, but you may need to adjust it as needed to fit the app's design and functionality.

4. Test the app with a small group of coaches to make sure that it is working correctly and that there are no issues or errors.

5. Once the app is working correctly, roll it out to all the coaches and provide training or documentation as needed to ensure that they understand how to use it.

By using an AppSheet app to allow coaches to input game data simultaneously, you can avoid the issues and errors that can occur when multiple teams are trying to input data into a single workbook at the same time. You can also ensure that each coach only has access to and can edit data for their own team, which can help to prevent mistakes and confusion.

Screenshot_20230403-221326_Sheets.png

โ€ƒHeres how I have it in the workbook, you select a/your team, and it returns a list of all the games played by that team(not just the games that are league relevant).

Screenshot_20230403-221337_Sheets.png

โ€ƒThen the user selects the appropriate game/games that apply to the league scheduled games.

Screenshot_20230403-221353_Sheets.png

โ€ƒThen the stats are populated with values that that meat the criteria. The users arent really entering data so much as labeling the data that is applicable.

I attempted to duplicate this same effect in forms and using lookup, and different if/then statements for suggested and initial values and could not even come close. Some Columns would work, and others weren't working.

Top Labels in this Space